Cone splitter on a smaller digger - any good?

I'm thinking that a 2.5 to 2.8 tonne digger would be useful for a lot of jobs and would prefer to keep trailed load within 3.5t to tow behind the van rather than go bigger and have to move about with the mog.

I'm also looking at cone splitters as I have a lot of oversize spruce to break down over the coming year. I've seen Lasco and Blacks splitters working on bigger machines but am wondering how useful one would be on a smaller machine. I guess it's down to flow rate to the breaker pipes and also that lifting logs will be limited with a smaller excavator.

Any thoughts or experiences would be welcome.

Cheers, Tom.

I have a lasco cone splitter on a 2.7 ton digger.

Can't remember which one, but not the biggest that's recommended for that size of digger. Regretfully I didn't get one with a replaceable tip. The tip has had to have a few touch ups with the grinder, and won't last for ever. I am dreading the day I have to buy a new cone.

Flow rate is important. If the digger can't lift the log- the chances are, that its not worth the time spent trying to split it. (but if time/efficiency isn't important- it will break down a fair chunk, with a bit of help from a saw)

Small ringed up type wood is a pain, as it tends to spin around a lot. I find about 3 to 4 foot long is about right length

I split to billets- then cut and split again using hakki pikke eagle. The logs do tend to be quite splintery (especially oak). And you do get a lot of waste- small bits- but perfect for kindling.

A lot of my wood is oak limbs that have come off, and the cone is great as it breaks them all to lift able sizes

I'm thinking that a 2.5 to 2.8 tonne digger would be useful for a lot of jobs and would prefer to keep trailed load within 3.5t

2.8 tonne def out & poss even the 2.5 tonne.

Most 3500kg trailers weigh over 1000kg.

Also remember that the digger weight does not include any buckets / fuel ect.

You can get a 2.8t on an ifor gh1054 trailer (660kg). Just put the buckets in the tow vehicle.

Legal but it is a lot of weight and I'd certainly be wary of keeping your speed down and leaving a lot of braking distance.

Just remember that any optional extras or additions like the spare wheel, rear stands, ramps options, bucket stand ect do not come within the unladen weight of the trailer.

Even a full tank of gas in the digger could be an extra 50+kg.

Just thought too, how often do you clean the digger after a job but before you load it up? I bet there can be 50kg of mud stuck to it.