Vermeer 625

timbernut

I've just been offered the above with a blown up Perkins lump for 500 and know of another good engine (on a compressor) for similar money.

Just wondering if people think its worth doin purely for profit, presume it'd be worth about 3k+ once done?

Watched a couple of vids on the toob and they seem a little slow compared with my entec chipit 35.

The Vermeer 625 is a solid machine which in good running order holds its price well. There are still quite a few of these machines earning a living now. They do hold their price quite well.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a '99 625i, although a bit slow and slightly underpowered they are bombproof machines. Easily maintained and rebuildable. Mine was under 3k, although i reckon the main factor in their cheapness is their high weight (1.2t) for their size, requiring a trailer test to tow. Still they are narrow and manouverable, i wouldn't be without mine!!

You could consider fitting the petrol kohler v-twin that mine has, readily available and reliable.

Hope this helps! J.

Thanks for replies, I decided against getting it as I've enough 'projects' laying about the place already. But may get the Perkins if I can knock the guy down on it.

Mick, that's my feeling on most things American, the smaller stuff is almost an afterthought

• 2 weeks later...

Things have moved on a bit since that machine was built. Still a lot of them out there still earning a living. We like to build things which are strong and tough, and will last.

I checked the plate today and it's 1100KG..."Overweight and out of date" it may be, but its my first chipper, was the only thing affordable and has paid for itself quickly. J

Excellent first chipper.

Put another Engine on it,paint it if you can and treat it to a new set of Bearings.When you out grow the machine,keep it as a back up.

Excellent first chipper.

Put another Engine on it,paint it if you can and treat it to a new set of Bearings.When you out grow the machine,keep it as a back up.

:thumbup1: Exactly this. If/when i get a faster, lighter machine it won't be going anywhere. The chassis, chute and flywheel at least will outlive my tree career! My kind of engineering.

I freelance alot anyway so wouldn't want a nice financed forst sitting for days or weeks.