What is the best portable winch to buy??

Arbtalk41

Hi All,

I would like to get a portable winch for tree extraction and other uses but which one is the best value for money ?? Honda capstan winch ? or Docma hoist ?? or any others...

A lot to shell out for this bit of kit so any advice would be gratefully received....

Lee

Hi Lee

I sell the PCW5000 portable capstan and really rate it:

Portable Forestry Winch - PCW5000 - Treadlight Forestry

I use one in my low impact contracting business and it is great for moving timber, windblow, assisted felling etc.

50cc Honda 4 stroke and 1000kg pulling power.

One of the best things about it is the array of accessories you can get for it which make it really adaptable / versatile.

More info here:

Home

I have not used the Docma winches but I have been in contact with the company and have been waiting for an excuse to bring a batch over from Italy:

Verricelli, verricelli forestali, verricelli a motore

Drop me a PM if you are interested in either the PCW5000 or one of the Docma winches and I can work out a really good deal for you.

I have a pcw5000.

I bought it for a particular job, where it was put to work almost continuously for 4 weeks dragging bunches of rhody up a cliff to a landing area.

it performed well, although the drum and fairlead pulley and the metal rope guide wore quite badly during this time. (probably due to wet rope and gritty soil acting as an abrasive)

but they are easily replaceable.

since then its only been used occasionally - but its very handy.

I haven't used others but I would certainly recommend it.

it has limitations, but by doubling up the line with a pulley you can shift some large pieces.

The only thing I haven't got that I would like is the skidding cone, I think this would be a must id moving lots of straight timber through an area with obstacles such as stumps, trees, rocks etc.

The most used optional extra I have for it is the clamp for attaching/ ratcheting to tree stumps.

the engine will cut out if its not on a good level.

• Like 1

sorry should add - what I don't like about it is that being a capstain - to stop pulling you either have to quickly shut the the engine down or take your wraps off the drum - this is no good if you need to pull and hold an object - for example pulling a log up a slope.

also its a lump of a thing to cart about anywhere, especially when you add in a bag/box containing ropes, slings, pulleys etc.

looking on youtube at the docmas - I like the auto stop on the hand control (though it does seem to position you right in the line of fire if a cable snapped).

I have a pcw5000.

I bought it for a particular job, where it was put to work almost continuously for 4 weeks dragging bunches of rhody up a cliff to a landing area.

it performed well, although the drum and fairlead pulley and the metal rope guide wore quite badly during this time. (probably due to wet rope and gritty soil acting as an abrasive)

but they are easily replaceable.

since then its only been used occasionally - but its very handy.

I haven't used others but I would certainly recommend it.

it has limitations, but by doubling up the line with a pulley you can shift some large pieces.

The only thing I haven't got that I would like is the skidding cone, I think this would be a must id moving lots of straight timber through an area with obstacles such as stumps, trees, rocks etc.

The most used optional extra I have for it is the clamp for attaching/ ratcheting to tree stumps.

the engine will cut out if its not on a good level.

What rope are you running Dean O? I have been using my PCW5000 on all sorts of jobs for a couple of years and only have a small amount of wear. As you say the capstan is easy to replace but it sounds like you are generating too much friction?

I use the smaller PCW 3000 brilliant bit of kit, pulls just about anything and not to heavy to lug around. To stop the pull you just let go of the rope, no need to unwrap the coils from the drum. The amount of pull these generate is pretty impressive. Make sure you buy the right type of rope to go with it. Normal rigging ropes wear out quickly. I imagine the PCW5000 would be even more of a beast. I might add, you can just keep adding lengths of rope tied together using a bowline and long tail, and you can effectively have an unlimited range. My max distance between winch and log has been 120m. They're a breeze to redirect through your normal rigging pulleys as well, you can get as creative with skidding routes as you like. I think a Lewis winch doesn't allow that so easily?

Edited by TTS North
  • Like 1