Chipper playing up

swinny

My jensen chipper has been playing up for a while.

It started before xmas

It would splutter and revs would drop, so you have to return to idle and then try put revs back up again.

I put it down to crap in inline filter.

So i eventually the other month decided to take tank off and clean out, fit new fuel lines and inline filter.

Mine is fitted with a fuel filter housing with primer on. This bust so i fit a new housing with primer and new fuel filter.

So all is new.

When it was colder it was playing up more, revs drop and splutter and starts to die off.

At the moment you can get to site fire chipper up then start to chip and after a min or so it will start to die down Again and splutter etc so knock revs down to idle leave a min then back up and its usually fine for rest of day.

I did consider diesel waxing as was fine when i put a gallon of white in one day to test it.

I was also thinking it could be the lift pump on way out? I know if i connect fuel line direct to lift pump it struggles to pull fuel from tank to lift pump outlet.

Any suggestions?

does it have an elctric fuel pump,if not that try lift pump

No just a normal lift pump, aided by the primer on fuel filter housing.

Im wonderig if its not keeping fuel pressure in system so uses a bit from top of fuel filter but doesnt pull through to keep it going?

Could be that its back draining a bit over night. It starts on what's left in the lines then struggles when it gets a gob full of air

I thought you were going to fit an electric pump

I was hoping the new fuel housing with working plunger would keep the fuel pressure in the line? Maybe it just fills the filter an thats it?

Surely the lift pump on way out? Or will an electric pump cover for that?

I was hoping the new fuel housing with working plunger would keep the fuel pressure in the line? Maybe it just fills the filter an thats it?

Surely the lift pump on way out? Or will an electric pump cover for that?

From what you have said, the lift pump would be my first suspect. They used to be repairable but these days they tend to be a throw away part. Swap it out or replace it with an electric one

I have seen a wire filter in the inlet at the injection pump on some engines in the past. If you can check that and vouch for a good system then try, as suggested, a pulse pump just to eradicate the old lift pump. Have you stripped, cleaned and tested the lift pump btw?