Plant auctions and diggers

33bk

Good evening

I'm in the process of looking at getting a second hand narrow access mini digger . I'm just wondering if people have brought from plant sales before and was it that much cheaper than say eBay or a dealer ?

I've looked on the auction sites and you do have to be careful so you full understand there prices once the hammers down .

Many thanks in advanced Mike

I looking at

New Holland es9r

Bobcat e10

takeuchi tb210r ( too new for second hand ;( )

Ebay is a very different to an actual plant auction and I'm tempted to keep away as it's full of shisters. Have a look at the Hewden auctions. Lots of kit available and bargains can be had. Sub 1000kg are much rarer though.

Try some of the big hire firms and just tell them what you are looking for. They might have stuff coming up and if you're patient you could get a good deal. I did this with my mini digger.

I'd look at some 1.5 tonners with expanding tracks. Narrow to get through the gate but more stable once you are in.

Edited by richy_B

I bought a second (third/fourth/fifth) hand mini digger from an HGV auction last autumn. AS you are Bath based, Hereford isn't too far from you so have you looked at Brightwells Auctions? Brightwells Plant, Machinery & HGV | Welcome

Next auction is this Friday.

As with any second hand sale, make sure you do your homework on the models you are looking at, ensure you get there early enough to register and then to check out the machine fully, exercise all controls to the max travel they offer, and look for any leaks, drips or other tell tale marks. You've already identified that the hammer price isn't the total cost price - I made a little table up in £100 increments showing hammer price to total sales price so I could keep an eye on the final price whilst bidding.

I'm sure my digger (1.5T) is probably more worn out than I'd have liked but as I'm only a 'home' user and don't need it to earn its keep, I can live with slightly 'loose' pins and bearings etc.

Check condition of the tracks - what buckets it comes with, does it have a quick hitch etc. Extra buckets are relatively cheap but if you can avoid that expense from the outset, it is always helpful.