CS100 Question

saltwater

CS 100 question

I'm about to purchase the CS100 (a big deal for me, can't afford to get this wrong). I've read the wee chipper threads.

I'm working as a small scale Arborist and trying not to take on big jobs anymore.

My question is about capacity (not diameter of wood). How will the chipper cope with a medium size tree e.g. Ash, Sycamore, Beach etc. Will it cope with the volume and capacity and how much longer will I spend on a job? Let's say the job would normally be 1 day (2 people)...

Thanks very much

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not got any direct experience of the cs100 but I would say a chipper is one of the major areas for 'bottlenecks' in your work. A small chipper will deal with most trees but you'll need to spend more time snedding and prepping. All this time lost represents your hourly rate decreasing or the missed opportunity of doing more work. Realistically a half day jobs with a 7.5" could become day jobs with a mini chipper.

They certainly come into their own where you want to wheel the chipper into the rear garden etc, but in reality this will be the exception not the norm.

My advice would be spend the extra now and get a larger machine. If you are on this full time it is not worth struggling with the kit.

I've not got any direct experience of the cs100 but I would say a chipper is one of the major areas for 'bottlenecks' in your work. A small chipper will deal with most trees but you'll need to spend more time snedding and prepping. All this time lost represents your hourly rate decreasing or the missed opportunity of doing more work. Realistically a half day jobs with a 7.5" could become day jobs with a mini chipper.

They certainly come into their own where you want to wheel the chipper into the rear garden etc, but in reality this will be the exception not the norm.

My advice would be spend the extra now and get a larger machine.

Wise words.

If a CS100 fits your budget and style of work, go for it! The wise words are spot on but if you are staying predominately in the small market, hire in a bigger chipper for those big jobs and stay with your business models for the main part. If you do go big, the CS100 will still be there for the future.

If I'd listened to Mick Dempsey along time ago and bought a 6" chipper instead of a CS100 I'd have advanced my business by 2 years.

Trouble was, I didn't know if it would take off for us and chose to invest small rather than go large.

Don't make the same error.

CS100 is a good machine though but will hold you back if growth is on the cards.

Ty

I messed about with a cs100 as the only chipper, saved me time on a lot of jobs, chipping in gardens etc, but as mick says you can't compete with a 6 inch roller feed, if your only ever doing small stuff though go for it, they punch far above their weight

IMO the very minimum any serious tree worker, who actually intends to compete for work, as opposed to pottering along doing bits and bobs is a gm130/tw125 or the equivalent.

Close, I did well with the timberwolf 18/100 for a year as a first chipper, handled pretty much anything and i'd put that as the minimum level required but once you move up to 6 inch roller fed life is much easier