.22 rimmy or .177 FAC??

pie eater pete

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have got all 3 but use them in different situations, I use rimmy up to 80yards in fields for general vermin and 17hmr for upto 150yards and 177fac for farmyard vermin and as you mention crack of 17hmr its not too bad if you get the right moderator on it

Happy new year Pete

.22 rimfires are great for vermin I have shot more foxes with this round than my .223 and .243 combined. get a silencer on it and put some subsonics through it. Ricochet is always going to happen you just have to make sure you have a good backstop, it also depends on the type of ground you are shooting over.

Happy hunting

I'm the oppisate of above and think the 17hmr is vastly over rated, it has its place but is it really that much better than a 22lr with HV rounds throu it?? And how often do u shot at thoose extreme ranges where the difference would be noticed?

In the old days u really only had the 22lr and usually had 2, 1 for lamping with subs and 1 for daylight/foxes with HV rounds, still get quite a crack with the HV 22lr rounds.

While the 17hmr will be more accurate u'll pick up a 22lr for peanuts and feed it very cheapily and they are indestructable, 17hmr's are dear to feed and can be fussy with ammo/cleaning

Really it depends wot ur needing it for, quarry/vermin type and the sorts of situations ur shooting in.

All the calibres have plus/minus points just wot suits u best for wot u need it for

I was advised when u step up to FAC air to go to 22 as 177 can drill the animal a bit.

Got a slot on my ticket but never got round to buying 1 too much money involved in them with all the gear u need.

Happy New Year all,am now looking into applying for my firearms ticket. Are there many of you guys using .177 FAC air rifles for vermin? Had considered .17 HMR but even surpressed they still have quite a crack? Rimmy .22 im considering but the richochet chance has me thinking..

Hi PETE are they easier to get mate as it only a air rifle what make are you looking to get what vermin shoot thanks Jon

I have all 3 as well, absolutely rate and love my hmr in fact is pretty much the only gun that comes out of the cupboard these days.

Yes I agree it's not the cheapest round, using ballistic tip rounds very very rarely get a ricochet. As for cleaning........ Well lack of cleaning, must admit I'm quite the slob when it comes to gun cleaning, joking aside I bet my rifles are lucky if they get 1 proper clean a year.

I also have larger caliber but find the hmr a proper Swiss Army knife, I take it out and shoot anything between rat to fox

:001_smile:

I've got an old marlin undercover in .22 rim fire, only time I've had trouble with ricochets was using eley subsonic through it, they are slightly heavier than the Winchester super x I usually use and have even had them ricochet of a rabbits head without killing it. Drop silencer off and put some stingers through it and it's fine for foxes at a reasonable distance.

Hi PETE are they easier to get mate as it only a air rifle what make are you looking to get what vermin shoot thanks Jon

Im looking at the Theoben Rapid for a FAC John as they seem to be the best. Iv got an Air Arms Tx200 in .177 which is handy for more public areas. Im leaning towards a .22 rimmy i think..:thumbup1: