Miles per piddly gallon

MaxWheeler

So my van I now almost ten years old and so I'm looking for a new and oddly enough back when I bought this van I wasn't too concerned with mpg but not knowing what fuel prices could be in the near future I'm considering it more carefully now lol.

Fuel Calculators » Fuel-Economy.co.uk

I've found like helpful since I roughly know how much my annual mileage is going to be and just break it down per week for comparison. The new vans of today are bigger and doing the same mpg as my smaller van which is really good!

Thought some of you lads might find it useful too.

You can take vehicle makers' mpg or kpl claims with a pinch of salt. Have a look at Which? and the like for real-world test figures. I'd say you'd be lucky to get between 1/2 to 2/3 of what is claimed. And that's with no load, other than the driver plus monitoring computer in the car/pickup/van.

Edited by TGB

I only ever put in £40 a week for what I do, and that used to be £50/£60 before. I had to put some normal in a while ago and I noticed the difference straight away. A friend has started to use it and he can't believe the change in his van, runs better and is far more economical.

I only ever put in £40 a week for what I do, and that used to be £50/£60 before. I had to put some normal in a while ago and I noticed the difference straight away. A friend has started to use it and he can't believe the change in his van, runs better and is far more economical.

which fuel is it ,

I think it's v-power. I researched for a while before I decided to spend more per litre but defo save more per mile. Sheffield's full of big hills so with chipper and a bit of a load I have to cane my van to get up them, and it's still good on fuel.

I've never considered using premium deisel. I will have to give it a go.

I have noticed that when my van was new the mpg was not so good for the first ten thousand miles but after that it was good until about 160k then I noticed the engine burned more fuel than it used to and now I'm upto 220k hence the interest in new wheels!

I sort of assume once a vehicle is 7 years or older the 'mpg' will take a hit

The cetane rating on V power is slightly less than bog standard diesel as its less dense . So it does not burn faster . Its just the detergents in it that help stop gummming up of injectors etc . I use standard fuel with Red Line diesel additive .