Ferrirotor Rotor S Stump Drill / Grinder - wanted

Morris

Hi All

New to this forum and first time poster!

I wanted to ask your advice and opinions on a job I need doing.

I have 200 - 300 stumps (ranging in size from 300mm to 800mm diameter) that I need to remove as efficiently and economically as possible without doing undue damage to the surrounding woodland area and remaining trees. The stumps are predominantly oak stumps 80% with the remainder being beech and willow. The woodland is an old oak plantation (approx 100 yrs old) spread over 5 hectares. The site is accessible by tractor when the ground conditions are favourable but it is a wet woodland.

I've been told a stump grinding team could probably work through 20 stumps a day but I came across an amazing bit of kit called a Rotor S (made in Italy by a company called Ferrirotor) that appeared to drill its way through a stump in a matter of minutes and I wondered if this might be a more economical way of processing these stumps. The problem is I can't seem to find anybody in the UK who owns or has used a Rotor S.

Has anybody on here got any experience or working knowledge about the Rotor S?

I would like to learn more about this piece of kit and it's costs (aside from the company website info) and ideally I'd like to hire one or contract a company that has one to come and do the work if it turns out to be cheaper than traditional stump grinding services.

Can anybody offer any advice or opinion? What are your thoughts?

Morris,

Other than having viewed youtube clips of various different brands of tractors using the Ferrirotor, and marvelling at its apparent effectivness and speed.

I do wonder how much of its speed is due to the fact that it always appeared to be used on Poplar stumps on sandy friable ground?

i.e. very weak timber, & not massive stumps.

I also wondered is there not a digger mounted "Hydracrack" type screw splitter (and i believe there are several about) that would do the same job, with perhaps better control?

Certainly a tracked digger would allow for better access to wet ground.

cheers

M

Even a 25hp grinder get's a lot more than 20 Stumps done a day.

With a 7015 or a 60tx it should be a breeze. Any predator 50 users here?

With a rotor you will have big chunks of wood and need a tractor, that probably is harder to manouveur through the woods than a tracked grinder. Never used one, but I bet an 80cm oak stump will bring a rotor to it's limit while the roots remain untouched.

Just my thoughts

Even a 25hp grinder get's a lot more than 20 Stumps done a day.

With a 7015 or a 60tx it should be a breeze. Any predator 50 users here?

With a rotor you will have big chunks of wood and need a tractor, that probably is harder to manouveur through the woods than a tracked grinder. Never used one, but I bet an 80cm oak stump will bring a rotor to it's limit while the roots remain untouched.

Just my thoughts

I was thinking its a bit of a chocolate teapot. On a nice flat site where all the stumps are of a uniform small diameter it will be ok. In my experience this is rarely the case and the tractor will never get level to do a straight drill. I also wonder how it would get on when the stump is bigger than the drill, how would the drill center and stay on the bit remaiming when going for a second bite ? I can see this just wandering off center and missing loads.

Cant see these machines replacing a conventional grinder. Just thoughts.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb
fat fingers

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all your replies so far

Difflock - Yes I have looked at screw type splitters. Somebody suggested a Lasco splitter with a grinding attachment to fit on a 360. It looked effective but on the bigger stumps I think it would still take some time. Who knows, maybe there are no quick fixes.

I also hear everybody's comments about the Rotor S appearing to do well on soft timber in favourable ground and question how well it would suit the conditions I have to work with. If only we had any first hand experience to go on lol.

Trigger - I'm in Devon just north of Dartmoor

Marne - I'll google some of the options you suggested, afraid I'm not familiar with grinder sizes, brands and power output but I appreciate bigger kit will get the job done faster but that there will always be the pay off between kit specs and site conditions etc. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the most efficient and cost effect compromise.

Thanks for everything so far guys!