Bolt on track grips

TobyAllen

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There likely is a better machine out there,but not one that I'm going to buy soon or hire in. Steel tracks with aggressive grousers are ok, but welding them on seems a bit silly.

I'm not doing anything too extreme it's just that time of year again when I start to think anything to improve traction is a good thing.

I keep trying to justify a set, and to be honest unless the client is prepared to pay for them I really can't unless something exceptional came in on a price job where it would allow me to win the job or up production.

Great idea and I actually knew of them way before they got imported over here. Biggest drawback, they will make a horrid mess of a site, and on a lot of my work the clients wouldn't be impressed with that, preferring to keep the machines off until better conditions.

The alternative is simply a number of pads either single grouser dozer type, double grouser track shovel type, or spare pads with an extra grouser welded on. A pain to change over though.

Eddie.

Thanks, good advice.

They do seem like a good idea on a bank rather than slipping down it. I'm in the woods felling so generally on a brash mat and the ground impact isn't as much an issue as getting the job finished. I've got a stroke head on the digger so cant use the bucket to pull me up. Thought about changing pads or welding something on but it seems like a pulaver when I could use bolt ons. They do seem pricey for what they are, but maybe for good reason.

I could always get out the cab and start the chainsaw.

Thanks, good advice.

They do seem like a good idea on a bank rather than slipping down it. I'm in the woods felling so generally on a brash mat and the ground impact isn't as much an issue as getting the job finished. I've got a stroke head on the digger so cant use the bucket to pull me up. Thought about changing pads or welding something on but it seems like a pulaver when I could use bolt ons. They do seem pricey for what they are, but maybe for good reason.

I could always get out the cab and start the chainsaw.

Always good to get a bit more info on your application, and to be honest I'd go for a 'Walking Leg' setup for your stroke head over any Track Grip device.

The transformation on my Mulcher was unbelievable when I had the 'Leg' fitted, and it allows me to get the machine everywhere I could with the bucket, and has plenty of other uses for moving obstructions around, pulling stumps etc.

Done nicely you can make the head grip the 'Leg' to make travel a lot easier too.

There is a very basic version here, but as I say, very easy to make the head grip the leg or a bracket to remove any swing for transport.

Eddie.

59766e7a01a49_keslaleg.jpg.ef0e736f0a224a512f5a2b59d031b674.jpg

OK, thanks. The leg looks like a sensible alternative, and probably cheaper than the tracks too.

I see what you mean about needing to stop it swinging, do you simply rotate the head round and grip the leg?

This is a good, example and a lot of ideas here I'll be building into the one for my own Kesla 20sh.

This has obviously got an extender, plus a stay with rubber block that rests against the inside face of the dipper to stabilise the extra leverage of the extender.

You can see the round portion that the grippers will grab for transport, and this could be as simple as a piece of large plastic gas or water main.

Plenty off offcuts if you see a gang working by the road!

My own will have the walking leg and a geometry that gives a little extra reach, plus allows me to easily grip the leg for transport.

It should really make it a better bit of kit all round.

Eddie.

img-1441.jpg.e8a84fa0003ed6006c5cd8855587c271.jpg

This is a good, example and a lot of ideas here I'll be building into the one for my own Kesla 20sh.

This has obviously got an extender, plus a stay with rubber block that rests against the inside face of the dipper to stabilise the extra leverage of the extender.

You can see the round portion that the grippers will grab for transport, and this could be as simple as a piece of large plastic gas or water main.

Plenty off offcuts if you see a gang working by the road!

My own will have the walking leg and a geometry that gives a little extra reach, plus allows me to easily grip the leg for transport.

It should really make it a better bit of kit all round.

Eddie.

are you changing to yanmar eddie?