Annother thread on small scale extraction...

Hi guys.

Having a think about extracting wood from

the wood.

I cut a bit of firewood, some chestnut, and I have a portable sawmill so occasional it would be handy to be able to move bigger lumps.

Now at the moment I don't really have any machinery so I generally have to work close to a track or drag/carry stuff out by hand.

I was thinking about a micro arb truck.

Micro Arb Truc | Timber Transport | For Tree Surgeons | Woodland Owners

(I would just go for the muck truck because it's the same but cheaper)

Then I had a thought a tracked barrow would be a lot better in wet ground than

The muck truck.

Lumag VH500 GX Track Barrow Lumag Distribution

That looks the buisiness, if I was cutting firewood I could know up some greedy boards and use as is or I could fix a towbar and use I small quad timber trailer for posts etc. I have a logrite buck arch I could use for and big stuff.

The issue is, for the price I could get a quad bike or compact tractor.

However, I would not be suprised if the tracked barrow can pull more than a quad, take up less space and as it's new under warranty, should be no mechanical issues to contend with.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I have been looking but I don't have space in my garage! And realistically you are not going to get a decent one for £3500 am I?

You'd be surprised as think I only paid 2500 for my compact. Where in the uk are you as someone might know of one locally

You should investigate more..

I don't care how much any of the tracked equipment can pull tow or jump on top off..

I'd rather die than stand behind one of those things crawling at 0,09 MPH..

get a compact tractor or quad, I'd even stretch to a cart horse before I got anything tracked..

I don't care how much any of the tracked equipment can pull tow or jump on top off..

get a compact tractor or quad, I'd even stretch to a cart horse before I got anything tracked..

Considering the wet we're having perhaps his 0.09mph will be overtaking your bogged down quad or compact tractor.... :laugh1:

I have to stick up for the tracked barrow, although I have never used one for timber, I had one on hire for moving soil and we got loads more done than I had ever imagined was possible, I recon they must do 4mph

I hear what you are saying about the compact tractor. Will look in to it further.

Since my original post I have been looking at the hinowa mini dumper. I can't find a very detailed spec but it has a usefull looking range of attachments including a 950kg winch which could be ideal for skidding timber out.

Can't find a price anywhere though!