un-topping

Luckyeleven

I have been asked to quote for some 'pruning work'

The client has pretty large acer of some kind (leaves are off, smooth bark, looks like sycamore to me, has tar spot) it has previously been topped...twice...at different heights

Now they want it reducing again to let the light in, they are really fond of the tree so fell and re-plant is not an option. my question is, is it worth me trying to do things by the book and thin and reduce? or is it beyond hope now that the crown is made up of near vertical 3inch diameter poles?

If I thin out some of these shoots to the previous topping point, would this result in more epicormic, or would the energy be absorbed by the neighboring branches?

Hope this is clear,

I have been asked to quote for some 'pruning work'

The client has pretty large acer of some kind (leaves are off, smooth bark, looks like sycamore to me, has tar spot) it has previously been topped...twice...at different heights

Now they want it reducing again to let the light in, they are really fond of the tree so fell and re-plant is not an option. my question is, is it worth me trying to do things by the book and thin and reduce? or is it beyond hope now that the crown is made up of near vertical 3inch diameter poles?

If I thin out some of these shoots to the previous topping point, would this result in more epicormic, or would the energy be absorbed by the neighboring branches?

Hope this is clear,

If it is Sycamore / Acer, generally quite a vigorous species, and the tree has good vitality (general health) as it usually compartmentalises quite well I'd be fairly relaxed about further works ranging from:

- doing a height reduction of the regrowth stems, not more than 50% (this assumes an abundance of regrowth)

- thinning out the regrowth stems, not more than a third

- re-pollard...your in France afterall.

So, fairly non-committal really :001_rolleyes:

Cheers..

Paul

PS I'm only really familiar with seeing Tar Spot on Sycamore.

I'd retop it myself. Trying to reduce previously topped sycamores I find very tricky as there are usually no growth points other than in the last metre or so of the crown. I will do a proper reduction on them if asked though I'm just never happy with the result. What does the client really want is the question

I'd retop it myself. Trying to reduce previously topped sycamores I find very tricky as there are usually no growth points other than in the last metre or so of the crown. I will do a proper reduction on them if asked though I'm just never happy with the result. What does the client really want is the question

Yep, fair point. In the London Boro's they refer to it as "high pollarding" which is in essence "high topping/lopping" but to selective species, usually Plane n Lime, which respond positively...seemingly.

Cheers..

Paul

Lateral branches are not the only signs of growth points. It's the dormant buds that matter, and they are found wherever a lateral was previously shed. So cut to those locations, and regrowth should be sustainable.

It's impossible to say more without a pic, hint, hint, but here are some guidelines that work well with Acer.

restore_2010_06.pdf