Advice on veteran Fagus' management

Victor

Hi to all.

I am seeking some advice on how to manage this beautiful beech tree. Pics are not completely true to the real stunt this tree produces when you see it.

I know that some of you have a lot of knowledge on this kind of trees and I would really appreciate some help.

It is in a woodland near Wiltshire, it belongs to a friend who is looking for ways to make the tree a bit safer without damaging it.

There is, unfortunately, a footpath running right under the tree and a public road and public land a few metres away. I think that changing the footpath might be possible but the tree will still have a third of the crown over public land and near the road.

It has, as you can see, a broken limb and several dead branches, some cracks (right under some seriously big limbs and one along the trunk?) and a bleeding lesion??

The tree's diameter at chest level is roughly 6 m.

Thanks for reading.

20150812_140910.jpg.08bd2c16b673a5a03168b44adfc2b7bd.jpg

20150812_140906.jpg.da49f3f2b7da571c77ff69af24dd8af8.jpg

20150812_140752.jpg.26abd7930cca39a3788fd6c8651a3335.jpg

20150812_140749.jpg.b4ec1dd281f6b341f526930f9b53e664.jpg

20150812_140508.jpg.0fd45cca7a7fc10182e024de9415bef7.jpg

20150812_140400.jpg.5a243fe1b47945827dc0fec07d9aaa2b.jpg

20150812_140326.jpg.0c596f490bcca690f4ab7871ba1a6e76.jpg

20150812_140201.jpg.622d1af52894c185a2945c91cd6bcfe4.jpg

20150812_140135.jpg.6bb4687a9260eaedc315d5d4e87312a3.jpg

20150812_140112.jpg.dcaac08284dc8219b088879b2db7759d.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the path can be moved, that would be the best thing to do. Trying to undertake any sort of significant works to this tree, which has developed its own internal equilibrium over many years, will likely unsettle it to the point it wouldn't recover desirably.

As a lapsed pollard (it appears) there's an issue with future branches failing due to weight and internal cavitation beneath, so perhaps consideration into selective reduction of particular branches may be possible, though if you can eliminate the hazard by simply moving the footpath, I would pursue that instead. If money isn't an issue, consider supporting some of the limbs with cables, props, etc.

Take a look at these (PDF) publications courtesy of the ATF:

Ancient and other veteran trees: further guidance on management

Veteran Trees: A guide to good management

Veteran Trees: A guide to risk and responsibility

Kveldssanger, thanks for the advice and pdf's. I will have a look at them. I agree that moving the footpath is the best option but it only reduces the risk of an accident partially. Cable bracing is only possible in a few limbs as the rest are growing horizontally and with a huge spread, 20 m perhaps? Maybe a combination of weight reduction on some limbs with cable bracing and moving the targets as much as possible.

I was also thinking in fencing and or signalling the area?

Thanks again.

Absolutely look to install some fencing and put some signs up warning people of the presence of an old tree - if the tree currently resides by a path, would fencing extent out to the path on the one side and out further on the other sides (assuming the path isn't moved)?. Be careful with signs however as they can unfortunately attract vandals who think it's 'cool' to proceed to damage the tree. I suppose that depends on demographics.

If you do, try and get the TO on side. I do imagine that, especially if you offered to do it, there may not be an issue. This tree is clearly important at least historically, so its retention in a manner as close to it currently exists as possible is crucial, as I doubt there is any desire to rekindle past management practice from what was likely once wood pasture of sorts.

As a lapsed pollard (it appears)

This is the nub for me, the fact it was pollarded is probably what makes it significant. Having said that it's been un managed for over a century at a guess and there's no way anything can be done other than manage the decline.

Given this recognition of its problems unless I could effectively interdict access to any likely target area I would severely reduce it to a dead monolith.

I have no doubt Mr Humphries will disagree.

Monolithing is of course a possibility, though should be a last resort. Granted it's less effort just to (in the rawest sense of the word) brutalise the beech, though its importance means it should rank above a meagre footpath. If we cannot treat such historic specimens with respect, what hope do we have and what precedent does it set.

Push for retention as is (or as close to), I say. If not, do the bare minimum to satisfy concerns and seek to at least retain a standing structure for the saproxylic species that will no doubt be heavily associated with its presence. Even go to lengths to keep removed wood at the base of the tree, fencing the area off and allowing for vegetation to grow up around the base. Even consider opening up the canopy around it, getting light in and further aiding with beetle diversity and generational turnover because of the warmer internal conditions of the beech (and its associated (existing and developing) cavities).