the law on headges

arbormonkey

Hi guys went to see a hedge this morning. The person that called me round it isn't his hedge its next doors but next door who's hedge it is never cut it what is the law on this .

Jay :001_smile:

If its not your hedge you can cur back any overhang but not the height

You may be able to use the high hedge legislation if the height is a problem

Hi guys went to see a hedge this morning. The person that called me round it isn't his hedge its next doors but next door who's hedge it is never cut it what is the law on this .

Jay :001_smile:

Before resorting to the law why not just ask the neighbour if it's ok to do what the client wants - or ask the client to do that....a pleasant approach can save a lot of hassle...

the unwritten law is that you do your side, they do their side, owner does the top. in most cases this is the rule, but there are a few awkward buggers out there, one time the neighbour (with steam pouring out of his ears) took photos of my truck and threatened to call the council and the police after my customer explicitly told me "don't do his side, he's an arsehole."

Not totally true, the responsibility is in the menace that it causes. A yew hedge that poisons livestock could see you in court where as a beech would do no harm and is only encroaching - until it becomes a nuisance in the legal sense.

Or it any hedge/tree/vegetation impedes passage on the highway (pedestrian or vehicular)

And the written (case law) is that the owner of the vegetation is responsible for keeping it within his own boundaries

Sorry, but that's not true. A tree or hedge owner does not have to contain it. He will be responsible for any nuisance or damage it causes. But until this is foreseeable or actionable, nothing need be done about simple encroachment.