Needles on site- your job as a tree team?

karl1991

Hi all,

Something that is cropping up alot recently at work are jobs where there is a high amount of needles and other drug related stuff within the working area.

We subcontract to a large company who give us alot of work, but me as team leader on these jobs ( I am not the proprietor of the company) I am finding myself in a difficult position.

On several occasions I have spoken to my contract manager regarding the needles to the reply of - be vigilant, make sure they are put in am your sharps box and disposed of at your local clinic. This is poor imo, no rams, no ppe, no training, which as far as I remember from any of my nptc courses was the main things HSE would ask if there was an accident. We arent even jabbed for hepatitis. It's not worth the risk for my day rate, as we have all said.

My question to you is this, as the team leader (not comoany onwer) am I in the position to say no, there are needles on site we will come back once removed.

What would your views be if your lads phoned you with my views?

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's easy to say this when I'm not the one in your position, but if it was me I would seriously consider refusing to carry out the work. Have you tried discussing the situation with your boss? I personally think it is unreasonable for the company to ask you to work in those circumstances

I think it depends on how many are there. If its plastered the boss would probably be sympathetic. Thing is, if its bushes then they may need to be cut down to allow access to clear up. Some sort of protective gloves etc seems a reasonable request and I would ask that the Client is made aware that you are doing them a favour

There was a time when i worked on the council if we found a needle we had to ring and report it and somebody would come out and dispose of it, not anymore! we had "training" on how to handle them/dispose of them. Your employer has a duty of care to ensure you have the correct ppe & the equipment to safely dispose of them. If your risk assessment identifies the hazard then control measures should be implemented, being carefull aint enough! We used to find them in the bushes around a kids playground every time we cut them!

I do agree, but surely there should be a team that are suited and booted trained etc to go in? Is it my job to get rid of the things??

pick them up with litter pickers then you don't have to touch them

then put them in a sharps container

It would depend on the site, if there was one needle I'd probably crack on put it in a sharps box, if the site was littered I think it would be reasonable for the situation to be addressed appropriately. Either through proper training and equipment, or a third party.

In situations like this I always look at the 'real risk' to myself and my team. If it's genuinely not safe walk away

R