No spark?

Bosun

Good morning All,

My Husky 240 won't start. So tried the usual things, new Aspen fuel, new spark plug, fuel primer function, choke function, etc, but to no avail. Removed spark plug, grounded it on cylinder head and pulled starter cord (with start switch on). Presumably, I should see a spark? I'm guessing that no spark means that the ignition module has failed? All connections are sound and secure.

Previously the machine has started fine. Are ignition modules (if that's the problem) prone to failure without warning?

regards

Good morning All,

My Husky 240 won't start. So tried the usual things, new Aspen fuel, new spark plug, fuel primer function, choke function, etc, but to no avail. Removed spark plug, grounded it on cylinder head and pulled starter cord (with start switch on). Presumably, I should see a spark? I'm guessing that no spark means that the ignition module has failed? All connections are sound and secure.

Previously the machine has started fine. Are ignition modules (if that's the problem) prone to failure without warning?

regards

Hi, Might be the stop wire to the switch has rubbed though. Unplug it from the coil and recheck for sparks.

If still no spark it sounds like the coil

If you get sparks trace the wire and see if it's trapped or chaffed. replace or tape it up.

Hope this helps.

What Eddie says is worth trying, sometimes the spark can not be that clear so make sure you try pulling it over briskly and in subdued light - keep the plug away from the plug hole or you risk loosing your arm hairs and eyebrows:thumbdown:

Some saws seem to generate spark at very slow revs and some need a damn good tug - worth trying to close the gap between the coil and flywheel magnets a little - this can boost the spark sometimes!

Tried cranking it over in subdued light, and there was a spark. Put everything back together, and after a few coughs and splutters it started and has been OK (touch wood) ever since. One of those little mysteries I guess. However, it always annoys me if I don't know the cause of a problem. Anyway, thanks for your input guys.

Tried cranking it over in subdued light, and there was a spark. Put everything back together, and after a few coughs and splutters it started and has been OK (touch wood) ever since. One of those little mysteries I guess. However, it always annoys me if I don't know the cause of a problem. Anyway, thanks for your input guys.

Ding Dong, another success - it works, be happy with that:thumbup:

Probably flooded if it coughed and spluttered some!

I have an Echo hedgecutter that seems to have no spark. Can't see any spark, tried putting fuel down the plug hole - not even a cough. I've tried disconnecting the stop wire and tried adjusting the gap to the flywheel - no difference. I guess that means a dodgy ignition module?

I have an Echo hedgecutter that seems to have no spark. Can't see any spark, tried putting fuel down the plug hole - not even a cough. I've tried disconnecting the stop wire and tried adjusting the gap to the flywheel - no difference. I guess that means a dodgy ignition module?

Sounds like it Ed, if you can post a picture, I do have an old Echo trimmer in the shed and if we are lucky, it may share the same coil....you never know:thumbup:

Sounds like it Ed, if you can post a picture, I do have an old Echo trimmer in the shed and if we are lucky, it may share the same coil....you never know:thumbup:

Thanks Steve, that post reminded me that I have two identical trimmers so I've just swooped the coils and can now confirm 100% that that is the problem.

Pictures below I case your spare is the same.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1436611122.627442.jpg.ea74b3ab320dc33e94c75caed60eeb5f.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1436611140.426497.jpg.fa299a6099f6cf25c11ec7661bc0683d.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1436611155.909575.jpg.0ac294db03f05b6eba928c31f02051ae.jpg