Managing TPO trees in conflict with historic landscape

jacquemontii

A row of self seeded sycamores have developed within a yew hedge, along one side an historic walled kitchen garden. The trees are covered by a group TPO and are growing along the top of a dry stone retaining wall, which forms the edge of a ‘ha ha’.

Although it doesn’t show up too well in this photo, the trees are generally causing damage along the wall. The sycamores are mostly semi-mature, multi-stemmed trees with compression forks and included bark which may limit their long term value and retention. As the trees mature, the problems for the wall will continue.

The client would like to remove these trees and I would think we have some justification to make a TPO application to fell.

Whilst these trees form a notable landscape feature worthy of retention for their amenity value, they do however pose a significant problem to the fabric of this historic landscape feature.

I’m interested in how others approach the management of trees in similar circumstances?

SAM_9068.jpg.7214aa0bc4a7bbcb82280c01e3624969.jpg

Please explain historic walled kitchen garden,i.e is it listed or linked to a listed property.I wouldn't do a lot other than remove basal growth into the yew hedge.The wall is not going anywhere soon.

If the trees were leaning and a windblown rootplate would decimate the wall that might be different, especially if the wall is part of a listing.Though any removal would affect the wall or you would leave a stump in the wall which will lose the tree feature and probably make the situation visually worse off.

In this instance the ha ha is linked to a listed property and all the sycamores are listed in the TPO group schedule.

Unfortunately this the only photo (not originally taken to illustrate this point), and it does not show the extent of existing damage that has already happened along the length of the wall, which has fallen away in parts and is directly attributable to the heave damage from the trees.

This subject may have been done before in other threads? It got me thinking about the potential conflict of protected tree verses protected architecture. For example a listed wall in danger of falling, being reconstructed to accommodate a protected tree, bridging with a lintel across the root buttress. There must however be many occasions when the tree is not so lucky?

Any chance you could post up a copy of the original TPO or tell us which local authority and the TPO number so we can have a look and see the original document??

Hi kevinjohnsonmbe, Forgive me but I'd rather not reveal the details of the TPO for reasons of client confidentiality. What is it that you think I should be looking out for in the original document?

As already mentioned the devil will be in the detail of the TPO specifying how many of each species, however if it is a listed landscape look at the original landscape plans if available and place the trees in context of that. If the Sycamores are a later edition and weren't originally part of a planned landscape than there is a small lever along with the damage being caused to listed/curtilage listed structures. Clearly subjective as managed/designed landscapes change with fashion and designers. One aspect to also consider is there may be potential compensation payable if a LPA refuse removal (although this is not a dwelling), with the limited info it would seem a common sense approach is required to reach a compromise of retaining/repairing the hard landscape features that are important against the planted landscape which is equally important. Clearly something needs to be done to manage the landscape as it was a man made landscape - have you tried to have a site meeting with the TO before submitting an application ???

• 2 weeks later...
have you tried to have a site meeting with the TO before submitting an application ???

That would also be my approach. Along with trying to get the LA'S Conservation Officer to attend at the same time to look at the listed building aspect.

That way you can sit back and let them hammer it out amongst themselves. 👍

Ultimately one point to remember is that any decision will not necessarily be at the strict say-so of the TO, but will go to the planning committee - to which both the TO and the CO will have input; with the committee reaching a decision based on an overview of each sides input/reasoning/rationale.