Strange rigging technique?

Joseph W

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the fact the weight of the whole crown has been removed I don't think there is any risk.

Its much easier cutting a gob from a top line than when stropped to the stem.

Edited by skyhuck

is it just my imagination or is this bad practice? Surely he stem is weakened considerably...

Joseph, you're instincts are right mate, it's a bad idea.

It's also an exercise in pointless messing about for no good reason. It's like one day they stood looking at a tree trunk and thought, "Lets come up with a stupid shortcut that makes our life a tiny bit easier and at the same time increases the risk of serious injury or death"

Joseph, you're instincts are right mate, it's a bad idea.

It's also an exercise in pointless messing about for no good reason. It's like one day they stood looking at a tree trunk and thought, "Lets come up with a stupid shortcut that makes our life a tiny bit easier and at the same time increases the risk of serious injury or death"

What a load of rubbish!

What a load of rubbish!

Not really, it makes good sense to me. I guess it's a viable technique to prep for a chog down but the for neg rigging the time saved versus the unquantifiable weakening of the rigging point isn't worth it. Simple risk vs reward.

Denouncing somebody's post like that without offering a counter argument is unproductive.

Brave man. Would be happy with that if the chogs were being freefelled but in this situation where he is rigging onto a compromised stem I can't understand why expose yourself to the risk.

One of the bigger chogs could have been rigged badly by ground staff, shock loading the system and combined with a potential defect unseen in the stem cause the stem to fail. Looks like the climber would have had ample time to cut the gob whilst his 11! groundies processed the timber and hauled it up the driveway. Unnecessary risk.