Tanaka hedge cutter will not rev

padman

Bought this new about 8 months ago - does not get mega use. I used it on saturday and all was well - did sound a little rough later on in the day. Came to use it today and it starts fine and ticks over but will not rev.

Its the long reach one - basically the strimmer with a hedge cutter head on it. This one TCGZ4EAS

Any ideas what I need to look at please.

Cheers Paul

Edited by padman

In addition to the above.....

Sometimes the cutters get gummed up which can stop a trimmer revving and also these little carbs sometimes need a tweak, the ones with the slide valve are generally more reliable than the typical butterfly throttle valve type.

If you have H&L screws, try turning the H screw 1/4 turn anti clockwise.

The fuel lines can also get kinked or can rot if left in petrol.

I am guessing you actually have a TCG24EASP commonly known as a TBC240S.

I sell shedloads of these and they, in common with most Tanaka products have very few problems, but we are seeing just one issue occurring on this model fairly early in its life when used as a hedge trimmer rather than brush cutter.

Hedgecutting takes very little power and full revs are seldom used so exhaust temperature is kept down. If the 2 stroke oil used is of a cheaper nature and maybe dosed a little heavily then unburnt oily deposits can quickly block the spark arrestor.

This is easy rectified by undoing the 2 little screws holding the exhaust outlet to the muffler. The screen sits under the plate and can be removed for testing. Full revs should quickly be restored.

Its also just worth checking the black fuel pipe from tank to carb, they can get hitched in a twig and pulled a little way out of the tank and then kink, partially or totally blocking fuel supply. If this is the case just open the tank filler and use some long nose pliers to pull the hose gently straight.

Of course it could also be that the throttle cable was not tighten properly on PDI (behind airbox) and has loosened preventing full throttle, or even loosened and become detached from the carb barrel.

Or, as Spud says, the problem could stem from tightness of the blades due to gumming or damage.

But my money is on the blocked spark arrestor.

Great machines though. Good choice!

I am guessing you actually have a TCG24EASP commonly known as a TBC240S.

I sell shedloads of these and they, in common with most Tanaka products have very few problems, but we are seeing just one issue occurring on this model fairly early in its life when used as a hedge trimmer rather than brush cutter.

Hedgecutting takes very little power and full revs are seldom used so exhaust temperature is kept down. If the 2 stroke oil used is of a cheaper nature and maybe dosed a little heavily then unburnt oily deposits can quickly block the spark arrestor.

This is easy rectified by undoing the 2 little screws holding the exhaust outlet to the muffler. The screen sits under the plate and can be removed for testing. Full revs should quickly be restored.

Its also just worth checking the black fuel pipe from tank to carb, they can get hitched in a twig and pulled a little way out of the tank and then kink, partially or totally blocking fuel supply. If this is the case just open the tank filler and use some long nose pliers to pull the hose gently straight.

Of course it could also be that the throttle cable was not tighten properly on PDI (behind airbox) and has loosened preventing full throttle, or even loosened and become detached from the carb barrel.

Or, as Spud says, the problem could stem from tightness of the blades due to gumming or damage.

But my money is on the blocked spark arrestor.

Great machines though. Good choice!

Absolutely smack on the money :thumbup1::thumbup1: - back working a treat again now. BIG thanks.

Now any ideas why my fC55R just stopped today for no reason and will not start up at all :001_huh: - they say these things come in threes - wonder what will pack up or play up on tomorrows jobs.

Cheers Paul

Without more details it is impossible to diagnose the FS55, but I would put money on it being a dud coil.

Stihl just never get it right, the Tanaka is a far better machine.

Again thanks for the info - not sure how to test to see if its the coil with my very limited knowledge.:001_rolleyes:

Will probably just buy another coil and put it on :thumbup1: