RW and LJ

Dilz

Hello! I bought a rope wrench but never really got on with it...but after a few days of long hauls watching another guy stroll up using a HAASystem i'm tempted to give it another go...

I have recently changed to a lockjack - got to say i quite like it. I have seen various posts and threads about using the LJ for SRT with the RW. The drop test vid kind of convinces me that it wont be massively dangerous to climb on.

Some people have mentioned it doesnt work well - how so? i can imagine that descending could be be an issue... but with the RW connectd to the top shackle on the LJ it should provide enough friction for it not be a case of all or nothing??

Can you footlock on SRT on do you need to use a pantin?? (i have one but the location of it is unknown presumed lost or liberated)

any feed back or tips much appreciated.

There are a few guys using them together mate, a lad from Lincoln called jack using it a lot i think, yea you need a pantin, i also used a hand ascender and a foot cord for a while until I got a haas knee ascender system made up (cheaper than the real one) seems to be faster, there is a thread on here somewhere of home made haas systems, all you need is some bungee a petzl croll or similar and a foot loop, I'll take a pic when I have it set up next. And some kind of chest harness made out of a a sling will keep it all upright on ascent. It would be perfect for your big up and down trees

I wouldn't do it. I know it works but the LJ is designed specifically for use in a DRT configuration.

It is an asymmetric design and using it on a stationary rope means the pull isn't straight.

Just my opinion and I'm sure I'll be blasted for it.

I have to agree with you mate, even though there are guys using it all the time I prob wouldn't do it, roperunner?

Using the hitch hiker defeats my object of - using SRT to access the tree and do stuff on the way up and then switch straight over to DRT with out the need for a different system.

Can you explain what you mean by it not being a straight pull when using the Lockjack for srt??

I can see how the LJ could be difficult to release when using it in SRT...

by tether you mean like i would have from my hitchclimber to the wrope wrench - i.e to the top shackle of the LJ.?

(all hypothetical as me pantin has been stolen by the van mice)

ive used this set up a fair bit, i find the descent is actually a lot smoother with the wrench and normal drt. i mainly just use it for acsess now did use srt for the whole climb for a while but think i prefer drt as most of our trees are small.

i found a rock climbing soft link was perfect as a tether.

not sure what ART say about using the lockjack on srt??

i need to get the removable pin for mine as taking it off is a pain.

you also need a piece of elastic over the shoulder to ensure the wrench moves up properly with you.

i think there are threads etc which probably explain the set up in better detail.

thanks carl

20112012003.jpg.acd9f90ded10c9a8518446d04eb9937c.jpg