should it stay or should it go??

tree79

Looking at a recent post from David, regarding management of a willow tree which has Laetiporus, I thought see what your thoughts regarding this lime was.

It has a large cavity at the base lots of decay present. Further up theres what looks more decay. The tree was pollarded to reduce the risk some years ago(not sure how much decay was present at that stage).

Its situated on busy road. Would leave the tree and re inspected next year, or would you take the tree out?

20150323_115929_resized.jpg.16485698a70659a7a9b0a6d8a6e17823.jpg

20150323_115924_resized.jpg.9dc2a9a48c6e3472c9810610d122ec5e.jpg

20150323_120026_resized.jpg.6df7a20178505b499a888800bd1f0e99.jpg

20150323_115941_resized.jpg.f764565973b123b1c57b8e06f759ffad.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fell. I don't see why anyone would want to keep a tree like that in a location like that. The whole point of the pollarding is to keep it pollarded, when thats in leaf the wind sail will be large, possibly as large as before it was cut.

Fell. I don't see why anyone would want to keep a tree like that in a location like that. The whole point of the pollarding is to keep it pollarded, when thats in leaf the wind sail will be large, possibly as large as before it was cut.

well I inspected it today, I have condemned it. It should be felled shortly.

after I submitted the report I did wonder if I should of retained and re inspected, and some of the other limes in that row have been reduce to 1.5m to.(not may recommendations).

Just interested to see what other peoples view is really.

I don't see anything in those pictures that would really worry me. Re-pollard and monitor.

re-pollard was option yes, but the amount with the amount decay present think it would only be a short fix, although it would retain the tree for a few more years possibly.

The tree looks to have good vitality which would suggest that cyclical repollarding is an option to maintaiin the aesthetics and deal with the stability issue.

The dilema I would have is the the location.

The basal damage looks mechanical possibly due to being on a corner and being hit numerously by bin lorries, delivery/removal vehicles etc...... Its possibly going to be an ongoing issue for this and any other replacement if planted in its place.

I don't think the pretruding white road lines are really going to stop that being a problem

I think we get far too hung up about saving trees sometimes, unless re-pollarded biannually that tree will still have too much sail for my liking. Why take the chance? Sooner or later a retained tree like that will kill someone and then where will the recriminations lead?