Mythbusters: the ms200t

Mountain man

I've seen some 200ts around for silly money.

I had 2 or 3 after my 020s so I feel I can speak with some authority on the subject.

They were a good saw, not without faults(carbs mostly) and yes, early201s were poor ( remedied through an upgrade)

But if you pay through the nose for an old 200 you're a mug.

The 201 is a great saw, the 540 is a great saw.

It's the most important tool in a climbers armoury, get a new saw if you possibly can.

Pointless retro nostalgia IMO.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree apart from the 540 bit.

I've got all 3 my 200 is my go to saw because it's the best out the lot of them (it's been ported) My 201 (first gen) is really tired so it's a back up saw, my 540 was bought to replace my 201 but the 540 wasn't up to the job and I couldn't justify spending another £500 on a climbing saw in less than 10 months. So an ebay 200 for £130 sent it to spud and did his work getting right and It was still a few hundred quid cheaper than a new saw.

If I was to do it all again a 201 would do me fine.

I would never pay over £200 for a 200 no matter how good it is

I've seen some 200ts around for silly money.

I had 2 or 3 after my 020s so I feel I can speak with some authority on the subject.

They were a good saw, not without faults(carbs mostly) and yes, early201s were poor ( remedied through an upgrade)

But if you pay through the nose for an old 200 you're a mug.

The 201 is a great saw, the 540 is a great saw.

It's the most important tool in a climbers armoury, get a new saw if you possibly can.

Pointless retro nostalgia IMO.

Agree to a point.

IME the 540 is massively overrated and if used in what I consider to be a normal commercial manner it will disintegrate :thumbdown: I will never buy another.

My 201 is a most excellent saw!!!:thumbup1: its had the upgrade kit fitted, I really like it, bags of poke, picks up perfectly, pretty tough, with the exception of the rear top handle mount, which do break if bashed, but at least the saw is still usable after it goes and its a cheap, easy fix.

I had a not to old 200 fettled by one of the best saw guys in the country, it runs well, but I prefer my 201 :thumbup:

Just got a new 201 two weeks ago, no throttle lag and as much grunt as you need. No trouble starting either - unlike Husky equiv,which seems a right dog IMO especially starting, hot or cold.

I actually got the 201 to save my 150, as I was asking the smaller saw to do stuff it shouldn't and wanted to keep it for the pruning work. I'd got the 150 when the first 201 came out and was getting bad press.

Russ

Got a new(2mth old) 201 starts better than my old 200(non ported) but the 200 deff has more go when the bar is buried.The 201 is better now it has loosened up but still not a match for 200, so 201 will get exhaust mod to help

I have a 200t and recently picked up a 540. I've got to say, I think the 540 is a great saw. Loads of poke, well balanced and seemed to go forever on a tank of fuel. The 200t is great and I'd happily take either up into the tree, but given the choice, I'd have the Husky. More than anything, it's probably me being a Husky fan more than a Stihl fan. Both very good saws IMO. I wonder whether talk of the saw disintegrating is just down to heavy handed users? I'm careful with mine as they cost a lot of money, but I've seen others not giving two hoots about the saw and bashing it about. Probably because someone else paid for it.