Husqvarna 136 oil pump drive

pycoed

Bought myself a bargain Solo 646 after a headsup (much appreciated) from here before Christmas - lovely saw, but a little bit heavy for hedging so - time to do some work on the 136 which is a nice handy size for the middle of a hedge.

Oil pump failed again the other day & I've found the plastic pump pinion chewed up ( third time this has happened over the years). Although the worm gear on the crank looks OK, i've decided to replace that as well as the pump (also sprocket, chain & bar as well!).

I presume the worm is a shrink fit onto the crank? Will a small bearing puller remove the old one OK? - I can't see how to heat it, since it's very close to the case plastic , not to mention the crank seal.

Does the new one need to be heated to fit or will it just drive on with a tubular drift? To be honest, I'm not too happy about drifting directly onto the crank but I suppose it depends on how tight the interference fit is?

There is a special tool to remove the gear pt no. 530031136, the gear is a resonably tight fit however you do just drift it back on, up to the shoulder on the crank,using the tool, do no heat it up, if you just use a drift and not the tool make sure it does not damage the gear.

Job done - made myself a puller out of some ally. Threaded 5/8 BSW to fit the worm - that's the nearest tap I had, & is "nearly" right.:blushing:

Thread angle is all wrong so I split the end 4 ways & it screwd on OK. Tightened it up with a Jubilee clip & used a 12mm bolt in the other end. Worm came off easily.

Bar now has oil as well:thumbup: