log grab on a 3cx

achie

the easy way to do it is put taps on the extra dig and use that for the grab if you are looking at a grab with a rotator i would fit a couple of electric valves onto the hammer circuit and take pressure from there and that would give you grab open and close and left right rotate and just put push buttons on the joysticks

The question of a Log Grab with rotator on a 3cx is one I've never considered, but the extender will throw in a different dimension?

My thoughts are assuming you are going for what would be a free swinging grab on a link with rotator, possibly picked up by a quick hitch mount if fitted?

I would tap into the bucket ram circuit at the top of the dipper, with the usual 'T's and taps to divert it to the grab, thus giving you flow you require via a nicely controllable function which is obviously the lever action that would normally control the bucket.

To split this circuit you will need a 12volt 6 way diverter valve, and it's really a case of getting the pipework well routed to make life easy and help prevent damage.

The 6 way can be mounted either on the dipper or the grab mounting bracket depending on what works best, but obviously from the location of the diverter valve you're going to have 4 pipes to route down to the rotator.

To operate your 12volt diverter valve (depending on what 3cx you have) you can fit an extra horn button into the other lever top to give you the momentary changeover from Grab to Rotate you will require.

Once mastered it should work fairly seamlessly and give you a nice fairly proportional control.

I would go this route instead of into the extender circuit, as you will greatly benefit from the extender whilst using the grab.

With the very latest machines JCB have finally woke up to people needing to power attachments, and more circuits are now available.

There is a video here of the 5cx Wastemaster in action, which is a real swiss army knife!

The points of interest are routings of auxiliary hoses on the extending dipper, plus you will see it's now possible to have a fully functioning Selector Grab on the Extending dipper, which combined with the reach/power of a Backhoe would be a handy bit of kit?

It would be good to see how you get on.

Eddie,

I have thought of this but with a jcb you lack any lifting height that you would get with a 360 and quite a narrow range you could work in without having to move the machine.

I thought about turning my 50b into a arb machine with grapple on front and log grapple but wasn't worth the effort

I have thought of this but with a jcb you lack any lifting height that you would get with a 360 and quite a narrow range you could work in without having to move the machine.

I thought about turning my 50b into a arb machine with grapple on front and log grapple but wasn't worth the effort

It's a 3cx with extender, and the ability to get itself 3 ft off the ground before it's started?

I'd have thought plenty for a Log Grab, it's not trying to lift chimney pots on!:biggrin:

With regard to 180 degrees of working range, you don't see many roofmounts or forwarders working over the top of the cab or bonnets?

Apart from stowing issues of a free swinging grab compared to a direct mount Selector Grab, I see no real reason myself not to give it a go?

Eddie.

It's a 3cx with extender, and the ability to get itself 3 ft off the ground before it's started?

I'd have thought plenty for a Log Grab, it's not trying to lift chimney pots on!:biggrin:

With regard to 180 degrees of working range, you don't see many roofmounts or forwarders working over the top of the cab or bonnets?

Apart from stowing issues of a free swinging grab compared to a direct mount Selector Grab, I see no real reason myself not to give it a go?

Eddie.

I'm comparing it to my 50b which is probably a poor comparison

IMG_3168.jpg.572da871b5d643278ac3b60f41daa923.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg.56c6b18fff520f29da0815647beb6b6f.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg.800fc8511f7d6e443876f0086399ca40.jpg

I'm comparing it to my 50b which is probably a poor comparison

[ATTACH]171461[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]171462[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]171463[/ATTACH]

Nothing wrong with a 50B, I worked alongside an Owner Operator on one at Macclesfield Bypass, it still had the piano levers, but he could play some tune on them!

The gang he was with simply wouldn't have anyone else digging for them despite much more modern machinery available, and it held it's own no effort.

Obviously a 3cx with extender will have a pretty fair height advantage though.

Eddie.