Timber beams

kinderscout

Anything as long as it meets the right grade. Some woods are structurally stronger than others. A Horse Chestnut beam isn't going to be much cop where as an Oak one will be great.

Personally I've only ever Oak and Larch that were then later stress graded for use in construction.

I've seen Douglas Fir and Sitka done in similar fashion. I have seen a nice Cricket Pavilion which had all the roof trusses made of Ash. I don't know if they were just cut to size or stress graded.

I was cutting some oak today, and a large beach tree came in,nice and straight 30 ft long.

and was just thinking it would make some nice beams and some planks.

I personally would not use Beech for anything structural. For internal joinery work it is very good. Just be aware that it tends to shrink a fair amount in the drying process.

I also would not use beech. Although it is no more or less durable than rapidly grown spruce, which is what the modern construction industry relies on, it is a very short grain timber, and is also heavy. This means that you need to increase the section to achieve the same strength, and it is heavier already.

Good for hard wearing, clean surfaces such as kitchens. Not used as much as it should be for flooring my view.

Alec

I also would not use beech. Although it is no more or less durable than rapidly grown spruce, which is what the modern construction industry relies on, it is a very short grain timber, and is also heavy. This means that you need to increase the section to achieve the same strength, and it is heavier already.

Good for hard wearing, clean surfaces such as kitchens. Not used as much as it should be for flooring my view.

Alec

I'd love to see some Beech stress tested to see what it can do. Rapidly grown spruce can come out with some amazing strength.