Building Tractor Splitter

arboriculturist

I posted this earlier, but time of posting is critical as not everone is at home on the admin.

*** Currently drafting a design for a Tractor PTO pump Splitter and am keen to know what size ram others are using for a 4/6 way knife fitted to a tractor splitter.

Basing knives on a Processor configuration.

Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I posted this earlier, but time of posting is critical as not everone is at home on the admin.

*** Currently drafting a design for a Tractor PTO pump Splitter and am keen to know what size ram others are using for a 4/6 way knife fitted to a tractor splitter.

Hi mate what size timber are you thinking splitting there mate and what your tractor our put thanks Jon

Hi mate what size timber are you thinking splitting there mate and what your tractor our put thanks Jon

Just for Arb. waste, so lots of 4ft rings 1/4rd up into segments out on site, then 1/2 the 1/4s again and tidy up. Basically about 12" diameter rough shapes.

Tractor 35hp but buying new PTO pump, so I can specify what flow rate I want pump to be.

Can go for a 2 stage pump is beneficial.

Thanks for replying.

Just for Arb. waste, so lots of 4ft rings 1/4rd up into segments out on site, then 1/2 the 1/4s again and tidy up. Basically about 12" diameter rough shapes.

Tractor 35hp but buying new PTO pump, so I can specify what flow rate I want pump to be.

Can go for a 2 stage pump is beneficial.

Thanks for replying.

Hello there, we have a 4 way and a 6 way knife for the 30t horizontal splitter.

It is approximately 140-150mm outside diameter so maybe 120-125mm inside diameter? Don't know.

It's pump runs 84litres min at 240bar.

Somewhere I read that it uses ~ 35 hp at the pto to acheive this.

On chewy tough bits still in rounds, it can just about push the 1.1m log through the 4 way.

If we have large rings however, we use a 20t vertical splitter which makes an easier job of it as the log stays in one place while the blade moves. Although we have a 4 way slide on blade for this machine, this 4way suits 150-200mm diameter rings best as it does it in one go and produces good logs. If we use the 4 way on a 12" 1/4 like you've got it turns out ugly looking large diamond pieces which need further work.

So basically we tend to use the standard straight blade on this machine for the ugly stuff. It's roughly 110mm outside diameter ram (90 inside? How thick skinned are they??) The pump is 45.6litres/min. Would have to look up pressure,probably similar to the other one. It needs 18.7kw which is about 25hp(?) at pto so maybe a good size pump for your tractor? Not seen a 6 way on a 20 ton splitter like this though.

And that's what I reckon! Cheers, John.

PS what is a processor configuration? Like a "+" and ">1<"?

Need like a "¥" or "#" shape blade!