Ways to break down 5ft diameter Tree Trunks

arboriculturist

Many on the forum have all had experience of breaking down large trunks in excess of 5 ft dbh on steep slopes in inaccessible places, just so that the timber can be manhandled to a vehicle.

Some seem to start at the top, some at the bottom and I have seen some going at it from the middle.

Many take full rings off then cut up the rings, others seem to 1/4 or 1/8th up the trunk then cut rings off. Even a combination of the two at the same time.

I would be interested to see / hear what others do and see some photos posted of the monster trunks that have bit the dust in your time!

never done on steep slopes but if the trunk is 5 ft in dia I 1/4 or 1/8 the trunk from the end and then take the desired length of clog off. but on a steep slope you may be better to winch it up/down and work on the flat!! 5ft dia is a BIG STICK if it starts to move and your in the way!!

never done on steep slopes but if the trunk is 5 ft in dia I 1/4 or 1/8 the trunk from the end and then take the desired length of clog off. but on a steep slope you may be better to winch it up/down and work on the flat!! 5ft dia is a BIG STICK if it starts to move and your in the way!!

Experience talking here! - thanks Callum