work and pleasure vehicle

polish pete

finally I've got my Isuzu Rodeo pick up! No more white van for a while :001_smile:. My question is: how does it work with using vehicle for both work and after work? Can I claim vehicle and insurance in my expenses? Or do I need a separate car used for leisure/pleasure only to be able to claim pick up in my tax return expenses?

cheers

Peter

In short yes, you can put fuel, insurance and repairs etc against tax but only at a percentage depending on how many business to leisure miles you do, I think I'm claiming around 80% as I too use mine for leisure but not much as the Mrs usually drives

It's % thing.

If it's your only vehicle then even going to the shops is private use.

Be realistic and then knock a little bit off aswell to be on the safe side .

You can make up whatever you want, when the day comes you are sitting across a desk from the tax man, honesty is the easiest policy.

I'm with Colletti:)

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Thanks for your replies guys!

so with one vehicle I decide on percentage of commercial use and then I can claim this much percent of vehicle value when bought and insurance costs? plus usual travelling rate per mile?

At the moment I have to insured vehicles as my old van was a bit unreliable and I had an opportunity to buy very cheap Honda CRV to use when van was in garage. I'm still thinking is it worth to keep a second car to keep all the paperwork clear (work vehicle/leisure vehicle) or save on second insurance which is 0 years no claims, quite expensive.