Dealers guarantee

Ty Korrigan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuart, the warranty on used machine is down to negotiation at the point of sale. It is an agreement between you and the seller (and manufacturer if there is anything left on the originalplan).

I have sold stuff with 30 days, when it has been a fair bit old and stretched out a long one when it is something that we have control over and can easily handle and the odds are that it isn't going to embarrass us!

I bought a used machine (3 ish years old, ex demo/test bed) that came with 30 days on the engine and 6 months on the rest. 5 1/2 months in I had a pretty major problem that was met with an apology and a we will fix that for you sir, here's a loan machine.

Yes I may have paid a few quid more than a private sale but that warranty saved me a fortune. Buying from a dealer I would want at least a month on any machine, nearer 6 months on something fairly new and business critical. Unless that is you are buying someone's trade in at trade price before it goes through the dealers workshop then it's sold as seen.

I bought a used machine (3 ish years old, ex demo/test bed) that came with 30 days on the engine and 6 months on the rest. 5 1/2 months in I had a pretty major problem that was met with an apology and a we will fix that for you sir, here's a loan machine.

What was the company?

Kev's machine came from GreenMech. Good to hear from you today Kev, as said earlier, please do come to see us at Ciren at the weekend!

Not that you're one to blow your own trumpet...:lol:

Nice one, makes a refreshing change to hear of good service.:thumbup1:

"Not that you're one to blow your own trumpet..."

Only when the tune is a bloody good one!:sneaky2:

Stand by the product that you are selling is one phrase from the book of Honesty, Loyalty and Integrity!

• 1 month later...

Well now...

I'm normally pretty buoyant and upbeat.

I've got a good thing going and I share the good times with my team.

But recently, I have been feeling a bit low.

Ever since I 'invested' in a new stump grinder my days have been that much darker...

Not my first choice (sorry Dean) but a low hours Carlton 4012

From the first we had a mysterious issue with it losing power to all controls and yet the motor would run.

Time and time again, in front of clients, the public and the competition it would play up.

We spent hours on the phone to the supplier but all to no avail.

Eventually one of the technicians observed that we may be starting the machine in the wrong mode (a simple toggle switch easily overlooked)

Once we stuck some tape over the switch to ensure no-one would ever touch it, our control problem became 90% better although it never really went away.

Then, last Monday I loaded the machine onto the truck for a job he next morning 1hrs 30min drive away.

Disaster!

It would fire up but no control to the hydraulics.

No manual, no radio and as it turned out later, no tether remote either.

So, since then it has stayed on the back of the truck.

Unable to move off under it's own steam and weighing a ton none of us fancied dragging back down the ramps in case it fell sideways.

So with work to organise I quickly hired another truck for the team to use.

Today, Friday, after many hours on the mobile to the supplier and many a wire checked and re-checked I am still stuck with a 950kg grinder perched like a big yellow lemon on the back of my truck.

Tomorrow I will go and find a farmer to help me lift it off with a loader and place it in a trailer.

Now here is the rub...

I have now LOST over 7k in work, contracts for builders and councils plus other costs over a mysterious electrical fault on a £20k machine that I have used for 30hours and that the supplier has washed their hands off.

Not strictly true, they ARE happy to charge me for any repairs at £55 per hour plus parts.

It came with a 'verbal' 30 guarantee which I felt VERY uncomfortable and suspicious about.

However, as this company is highly thought of in the Arb world I dismissed my fears thinking I would be well looked after in the event of a major crisis even out of guarantee.

Well, it appears I am wrong and find myself out in the cold.

I would expect this class of service from the perfidious French but NOT from a reputable U.K company.

I am bit low tonight after a phone conversation with a senior sales manager from this company and as I do not drink, I'm trying to drown my sorrows in a fruit smoothie instead.

Ty