replacing clutch side crank case - 357XP

Huskyswinger

Hi all.

A while back I aquired a MINT 357XP saw which hasnt ever seen a days work in its life, it really is mint condition.

First time I used it I noticed a bit drop off the saw and land on the floor... Upon further inspection it seems that the whole of the bottom left corner (if you look at the clutch side with the sprocket cover off) of the crank case has snapped right off! :001_huh:

It's the corner that has the little black rubber stop to stop too much side to side movement between the body/handles.

Seems that it was an old break as most of the broken edge of the piece was very black and dirty.

Since it feels horrible using it with that much movement in I'm thinking of replacing that crank case side...

Also it does tend to try and wander noticeably in the kerf now.

Only question is, not having done anything like this to a saw before - how hard is it?

Are the 357's easy to strip and split? Any special tools I'll need?

Being that this is now my main saw as my old 346xp FINALLY died (Been trying to kill it for long enough!) and will be doing a fair bit of work I'd like to get it sorted.

Cheers :thumbup1:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would give it to spud... I have destroyed the second saw I tryed to split it and caused a lot more damage ! The first one I did I had to take back for him to refit a bearing after I messed it up.

I pretty sure he has some 357 crank cases hanging around as well as he always had the parts to keep mine going and he's a hell of a lot more reasonable and thorough than any saw shop I have used.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Personally I would give it to spud... I have destroyed the second saw I tryed to split it and caused a lot more damage ! The first one I did I had to take back for him to refit a bearing after I messed it up.

I pretty sure he has some 357 crank cases hanging around as well as he always had the parts to keep mine going and he's a hell of a lot more reasonable and thorough than any saw shop I have used.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I got fed up with seeing the trail of carnage:001_rolleyes: - the last one I did was out of goodwill....and the fact some scum had done his place over.

I don't like seeing a grown man wield a mallet on a saw like that - unfortunately the crankcase splitters were made days after Matty needed them:lol:

I think the clutch side of the crankcase Matty is talking about is OK on my scrapper, the other side is buggered!