Lpg.

eggsarascal

Knew a guy a few years ago who had a V8 land rover converted, he reckoned he got almost V8 performance with the same running costs of a diesel.

As I see it

Pros. Higher performance at lower costs

Possibly cheaper initial vehicle purchase cost

Cons. Additional LPG tank taking up space - not a problem if slung underneath but I have seen some taking up half the boot space in some cars.

Not all fuel stations have LPG, though this is becoming less of a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

We've had a couple of vehicles with LPG in the past, a mid 90's Subaru legacy and one of the last 3.9 discoveries and both ran well on the gas.

The subaru was quite a basic kit that the previous owner fitted himself (single point injection system I think) so the difference between the gas and petrol was more noticable, but it never caused any problems. If I felt I needed a bit more power (like for a fast overtake etc) I'd just flick it back to petrol briefly. That had the tank in the spare wheel well and was discreet.

The Discovery was a more expensive multipoint system but had underslung tanks which only gave a range of about 150 miles between fills. Less noticable difference between gas and LPG but still some.

As someone said above, it worked out similar or less cost to running the equivalent diesel but with the bonus of big power.

I'd definitely consider another vehicle already fitted with LPG

My v6 shogun sport has lpg. Tank is where the spare wheel goes but holds 65ish ltrs.

It is 1 of the better systems made by prinz.

Makes sense to pay 72 pence a ltr compared to £1.28. Think mpg is about 2 miles less on lpg over petrol tho.

Also mot time you never have to worry about passing emmisions as they are pretty much non existent on lpg.

Power wise the only time I feel a difference is towing over about 2 tonne when it comes to hills etc but at the press of a button you just switch to petrol anyway if your that bothered.

Never spent any money on the lpg system except a diaphragm which cost a tenner in the 4 years ive owned it.

Knew a guy a few years ago who had a V8 land rover converted, he reckoned he got almost V8 performance with the same running costs of a diesel.

I ran one for 10 years, parked it up for the last 5, and sold it last weekend.

At the time it was far cheaper to buy and convert than buy a similar diesel and it had similar power (109bhp v 111hp) subsequently the diesels have developed far more power so mine was a bit sedate. I do have an RR engine with about 150bhp but never fitted it.

As I see it

Pros. Higher performance at lower costs

Possibly cheaper initial vehicle purchase cost

See above not necessarily higher performance. If you factor in the service interval and the clean burn using lpg (a mate sent some oil in for analysis and could extend oil changes to 20kmiles verses the diesel every 3k) and I was getting 14mpg on lpg when a diesel would do about 25 mpg the fuel prices were very comparable.

Cons. Additional LPG tank taking up space - not a problem if slung underneath but I have seen some taking up half the boot space in some cars.

Mine were under the driver's seat and in one of the jerry can lockers (ex MOD) gave a range of 150miles with no compromise on off road driving.

Not all fuel stations have LPG, though this is becoming less of a problem.

I thought it was getting worse in Surrey with a couple of outlets closed down.

Does anyone run a truck on petrol/LPG ?

I've got my eye on a v8 petrol truck that's got a factory fitted LPG conversion on it. I'm told that it runs equally well on both fuels.

Any info and advice would be great.

HI EGGS sonia SISTER had one what a load of :lol:it was it all down how good was the LPG JOB was done thanks jon :thumbup:

Does anyone run a truck on petrol/LPG ?

I've got my eye on a v8 petrol truck that's got a factory fitted LPG conversion on it. I'm told that it runs equally well on both fuels.

Any info and advice would be great.

Seem to remember you're exempt from fitting a Tacho (if you otherwise would have to have one) if you use LPG. Up to 7.5 tonnes... within 50Km of base... ohhh... I can see this getting complicated...

https://www.gov.uk/drivers-hours/exemptions-from-eu-law

cough cough

It is possible to run off bulk LPG. i.e. the stuff big chicken houses are heated with.

One really needs to draw off the liquid, which these tanks are not set up for.

PS

I only recently found out recently (was it on here?) that the LPG from the filling station pump

was cheaper than propane in the orange cylinders, even the 2 larger sizes of orange cylinders.

Exactly the same fuel too.

strange but true.