Which older 130/150 hp 4wd tractor for forestry?

cessna

Suggestions please for an older Tractor 130/150 hp 4wd 40kph with as few electronics as possible for pulling 11ton capacity (how many tonnes of say Beech might I realistically get on it) Forwarding trailer in wood land and hauling same trailer loaded up to 15mls, a few inclines but not really steep hills. Thankyou for any suggestions.

How old are we talking?

Personally my choice would be an 8150 at 125hp or a 8350 at closer to 140hp. I'd stay away from the 2000-2002 versions as electronics were featured more prominently on them. The mid 90s versions have just the right balance of robustness vs bells and whistles.

Now the turning circle on these isn't great which is their only real flaw but as a forwarding tractor they are brilliant. Lots of space to spin the seat around and use the crane.

If you really want Wilsons do a forestry special where they take out all the electrics and fit a manual diff lock 4wd etc. Take out the Delta clutch pack too ( which i actually find really useful to have). Anyway they do it so you can have a proper old school manual tractor.

If you thinking about 80s Zetors and Massys big tractors i'm afraid i can't really help.

How old are we talking?

Personally my choice would be an 8150 at 125hp or a 8350 at closer to 140hp. I'd stay away from the 2000-2002 versions as electronics were featured more prominently on them. The mid 90s versions have just the right balance of robustness vs bells and whistles.

Now the turning circle on these isn't great which is their only real flaw but as a forwarding tractor they are brilliant. Lots of space to spin the seat around and use the crane.

If you really want Wilsons do a forestry special where they take out all the electrics and fit a manual diff lock 4wd etc. Take out the Delta clutch pack too ( which i actually find really useful to have). Anyway they do it so you can have a proper old school manual tractor.

If you thinking about 80s Zetors and Massys big tractors i'm afraid i can't really help.

Thankyou Brushcutter,for the info. Are there any particular faults that the Valtra 8150/8350 are prone to, reliability of engine/gearbox at 6000hrs plus??

Thankyou Brushcutter,for the info. Are there any particular faults that the Valtra 8150/8350 are prone to, reliability of engine/gearbox at 6000hrs plus??

Hours aren't that important really its how well it's been cared for in that 6000 hours that is.

The Delta power shift is the only thing that could start to give problems. Transmission is generally solid and the engines are 6-7 liter 6 cylinder jobs by Sisu so they're solid too.

I reckon on the Massey 3125,6180 . Fuel tank up out of the way , no plastic to rip off, easy to guard and cage, bomb proof engine and trans, cheap and easy to maintain , very little in terms of electronics and user friendly.

( from experience )

Bob

The valtra's are hardy tractors. As stated already hours doesn't really matter as long as it's been looked after and well serviced. Our 2003 8150 is currently on 9000hrs and it's never really let us down. I know of a valmet 8050 with over 14000 hrs on it and chugs away all day long. The older valtra's are pretty basic so there's not much to go wrong.

That new holland looks ok.

Thing with Valtra/valmet is they have the forest ground clearance. Their forestry pedigree also means they hold their value very very well. Hence the 8150 with 10,400 hours on Arbtrader for 18k.

i thought of the tm classic as it doesnt have the electric gizmos, which will go wrong with age

but i would have to admit the valmet is built different and are better suited to forestry

we also have a new holland tvt 155 which was originaly built by styer in austria for new holland and the build is very similar to valtra , if you look underneath theres a 3/4 length skid of 1" steel , no pipes/ wires to catch ,