4X4 Tippers

MAX

Great site! First thread, I'd appreciate your comments.

I need a 4x4 tipper, my cabstar is fab but this time of year I can't even think about getting onto grass verges.

I need a big-ish chip box and security for gear so jap pick up's are out of the equation.

Looking at land rover 110/130. Anyone got any views on them. Is there much difference in chip volume with a box on these two models?

Anything else I should consider looking at?

Thanks

Cheers max.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Max, welcome to the forum,

I've got a landy so here goes with some of my thoughts.

A 110 is too small, if you want just a tipping body it ain't to bad but if you want a tool box behind the cab then the wheel base is to short to allow for a decent sized chip box. aslo standard 110's have gross vehicle weight of 3050kg.

The 130 on the other hand has a longer wheelbase which means you can have a toolbox behind the cab then have a large chip box, or have a big chip box if no tool box is needed. The 130 has a standard gross of 3500kg thats an extra 450kg over the 110.

In my mind the 130 is the only 4x4 tipper that can gross at 3500kg and get a reasonable amount of chip on board. if a vehicle grosses at less than 3500kg you are either going to empty it every 5 mins or be running over loaded.

Are you looking secondhand? If so there will be quite a few well specced ex utility 130's about, its a simple job to unbolt the box body and bolt on a tipping body.

Good advice thanks,

i will forget about the 110, too small for all the waste and gear together. I knew about the trannies but find it would be a hard slog to find a decent rust free example.

I like the 130. you obviously know your Land Rovers Matt. I had an old 90 pick-up years ago, hated it on M-ways and long drives, but awsome for off tarmac and towing you couldn't beat it. Are the TD5's any better? the power steering must be a blessing, I remember it was a work out driving that thing.

What could you comfortably do in a TD5 on the M-way?

again cheers for your comments.

Good advice thanks,

i will forget about the 110, too small for all the waste and gear together. I knew about the trannies but find it would be a hard slog to find a decent rust free example.

I like the 130. you obviously know your Land Rovers Matt. I had an old 90 pick-up years ago, hated it on M-ways and long drives, but awsome for off tarmac and towing you couldn't beat it. Are the TD5's any better? the power steering must be a blessing, I remember it was a work out driving that thing.

What could you comfortably do in a TD5 on the M-way?

again cheers for your comments.

Td5's will cruise the wrong side of the legal motorway limit and happily drag 3500kg along at 60+. If you really want to improve the noise and cruising issues then try and budget an etra £850 and fit a GKN overdrive it basically gives a 3rd & 4th split and 4th & 5th split and 5th overdrive, effectively 6th.

The new 07 defender is a good motorway tool but there is a lot I don't like and wouldn't recommend besides for that in 130 format and having a chip box I would imagine it would be about 32k

Why are you looking at a 3500kg 4x4?

Having run them in the past I would now question their application. Consider the options if you would.

If its needed to carry kit off road, then buy a standard 4x4.

If its needed to drag a road tow chipper across fields, buy a tracked woodchipper. Leave your wheels at the roadside.

If you need it to carry woodchips, think! A Landrover type 4x4 is narrow (relatively), high and comes with axle travel. It WILL rock and roll. A transit type 4x4 will not carry any more, but same as the others, will sink into the mud, cut up the grass and be expensive to buy and run.

A truck type 4x4 could be the way forward if you need to recover your chips and tow a chipper and have a licence to suit the combo. But costs are high and resale value is low.

madmatt,

What is the 110 hi-cap. I have heard that it is very easy to remove the body, fit a high side tipper and you are good to go. Are these not 3.5 ton?

Also if you have a new 07my 130 chassis cab with steelies and a chip body fitted you are looking at about 25'000 +vat which is not too bad considering the re-sale values of tipper 130s are very silly. Getting hold of a 130 chassis cab is probably going to be your problem. Jonathan

Nice truck A lopa!

Didn't know about the 4x4 canter.

PeteB, your right, hadn't thought about a tracked chipper. What are the best 6" to choose from.

Yesterday i wanted a 130, now i want a new chipper...my list to santa is growing by the day.