MOT's class 4 vs. class 7 on Landy 130

Kev Stephenson

Couple of questions,

firstly those of you with 3500kg landies (130's and some 110's). What MOT class are your vehicles in?

secondly does anyone know what the differences are between the tests for class 4 and 7?

Mine is due at the end of March (class 7 according to the last cert) and I want to know what, other than thatI am used to from car tests, I need to check before I send it in.

Thanks

Kev

Hi Mate your 130 will need a class seven. Most 110 also need a class 7 but they get mistakenly tested. Test wise it s very similar if not the same but may be wrong. It just means you are restricted to where it can be tested. Do the usual checks and i am sure it will be fine.

I thought yours was class 4 Dean. Been looking on the VOSA site and all vehicles with GVW of 3000 - 3500kg need to be class 7. I think all 110's are 3050kg or 3500kg but class 7 doesn't include vehicles over 8 seats (110's can have 12 seats) so what are these tested as?

There is a dual purpose vehicle listing in class 4, is a land rover not in this group?

Looks like my local 'friendly' tester won't be able to do my landie then. Bummer....

If a vehicle has a GLW under 3500kg, an unladen weight under 2040kg, has four wheel drive and is equipped to carry one or more passengers (including the front seats) then it is a 'dual purpose' vehicle for MoT purposes and should be tested as class 4.

So most 110 and 130 that are between 3000 and 3500 can be class 4 but only if unladen weight is under 2040. So if you have chip box etc your landy will be over 2040kg then will need a class seven test. Go to a public weighbridge get a certificate and find out you can t look at the plate as most landys have other bits bolted on such as winches steering guards etc.

Like i said before many get incorrectly tested and it will be the owners responsibity not the garage. I ve had the problem myself get a class seven test and cover yourself

mine weighs in at just under 2500kg so does not fit dual purpose classification. Looks like a class 7 test, just wondered what was different from class 4 on the inspeaction schedule. I am seeing a tester at the weekend so will get a definative answer.

Thanks for all the replies so far

kev