150m neglected hedge -Advice on best tools

wytco0

Hi all just joined to try and educate myself about looking after a hedge in my new garden

I am responsible for 150m of hedgerow which has been neglected for many years, it consists of an assortment of native hedge plants (Hawthorne/field maple/Elder etc)and a lot of ivy. In places its about 5m high but the average is about 3.5m and I want to try and get it to about 3m and keep it under control. In some places there are branches of about 4-8cm that I need to cut and some of these are fairly high up.

Last year I tried to tackle it with a hand saw, a ladder and some manual loppers but it took ages to do a small amount and I gave up.

So I want to buy some decent tools to help but I am not sure what to get.

Originally I thought a long reach hedge trimmer would be best, but once I have trimmed out all the long branches I could probably trim the hedge each year with a standard hedge trimmer and a ladder. I am worried that long reach trimmers might be a pain for trimming near the ground? but as I have never used one I don't really know. Alternatively I could go for a pole saw and a hedge trimmer attachment or maybe there are other alternatives?

So grateful for any advice on how best to tackle the hedge and what sort of tools would be best.

I am happy to pay for decent equipment and I would prefer to get stuff that's good quality and which will last a good few years.

Thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

two words lay it then you can manage it plus you can get rid of ivy. and will look nice and will thicken up. so you will only need a petrol hedge trimmer to trim it once a year. you can lay hedges fairly high. what part of country are you in. i am sure there will be a local hedgelayer who will be happy to give you some advice by looking at hedge

two words lay it then you can manage it plus you can get rid of ivy. and will look nice and will thicken up. so you will only need a petrol hedge trimmer to trim it once a year. you can lay hedges fairly high. what part of country are you in. i am sure there will be a local hedgelayer who will be happy to give you some advice by looking at hedge

I am in Norfolk, the hedge is probably 100 years old and many of the plants in it are more like trees at the bottom. If it was younger and smaller I would love to lay it.

I am a bit worried about the ivy as I think some of the hedge may be mainly ivy, I was thinking of tacking this over a few years hoping that the hedge would thicken once its under control then the ivy could be completely removed?

I count a few more there:001_tongue:

Whereabouts in norfolk are you Wytco, I frequent certain parts of the county...:001_cool:

DITTO. + get rid of the ELDER.:001_smile:

have a look at some of the photo.s put up in what hedge have you laid. you can lay some big stuff as you will see. the chap who i dd my taster session with John savings of oxford said he was laying 30ft trees so can be done just need a experienced cutter to have a look and advise

Might be worth getting a professional in once then you maintaining it each year. Depends on your circumstances obviously but it's amazing how much people do in a day that do it day in day out. Worth thinking about...........

Yes good point. Now I just need to find someone that can do it !