Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Large equipment Discuss wood chippers, stump grinders, and other arb equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-12   #1 (permalink)

2nd hand madness

I firmly believe in buying new machinery, but I am not adverse to buying second hand at the right price. It just seems that at the moment machinery is fetching stupid prices. I dont just mean pretty steep I mean nearly as much or as much as a new machine. I have watched firewood machinery that is well used go on ebay for more than its rrp. Currently there is a fransgard winch on ebay its going for 1000 with 7 days to go, a new equivalent igland is 1800-2000. The new machine comes with a new wire and 3 chains and sliders worth 200, and as far as I know there is no UK dealer for fransgard so where to go for spares?. Its all madness no chance of buying a machine for its true value, who is buying these things?
Old 10-08-12   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2nd hand madness

I know what you mean, I watched several Stihl Kombi attachments go for at or more than they can be purchased new from my usual supplier. Madness
Old 10-08-12   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2010, 2011, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentjames View Post
I know what you mean, I watched several Stihl Kombi attachments go for at or more than they can be purchased new from my usual supplier. Madness
i found it cheaper to get a new combi engine of jonsie than a 2,nd hand 1, of ebay tooooooooooooo,not sure what kind of folk are bying them ,
Old 10-08-12   #4 (permalink)

AT Osbornes are the UK fransgard agents. Spoke to them two weeks ago for spares and technical support for the Fransgard.

I think people starting up doing small scale forestry for firewood has pushed up s/h equipment prices.
Old 10-08-12   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny Walker View Post
i found it cheaper to get a new combi engine of jonsie than a 2,nd hand 1, of ebay tooooooooooooo,not sure what kind of folk are bying them ,
Indeed thats where I get all my kit and think I will get the whole new kombi kit from there in the coming weeks, get the kettle on jonsie
Old 11-08-12   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as GTR tool repair, Raffle Sponsor 2012

I need to get my backside in gear and order some micro pulleys, will have to get something else to push the order over fifty quid.
Old 11-08-12   #7 (permalink)

Jasp wilson had some porsch spaltfix300's in on part ex for between 2-3k. I dont think ebay is the place to look for plant these day's. Better of speaking to people in the industry and let them know what your after cos if they dont have it they prob know someone who does.
Old 11-08-12   #8 (permalink)
Site Sponsor, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny Walker View Post
Folks with a lot more 's than brains. Same over here, I suspect they have their price and regardless of the current market value will ask what ever they can in return. Makes no $ence, of course no requirement
for that in the first place.
easy-lift guy
Old 11-08-12   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013

its the same with 020/200/201t's because you need the tickets to buy there able to go for half if not more of the price of a normal 201.
ive been scouting around and the amount of sellers discribing that a tophandle is great for logging up your fire wood ready for winter etc is unbelievable and a massive miss sell of the equipment.
Old 11-08-12   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as GTR tool repair, Raffle Sponsor 2012

I always look into new gear. Especially petrol tools or engine machines. I would rather pay a bit extra for something that has a good warrantee package than a second hand tool that could break the next day. If it even works in the first place especially from flea bay