Doctor said I need to change technique.....

Rich2484

Ok so after being out for a few climbs I was in agony on Monday. Been to doctors and it turns out I have got hemaroids from straining when climbing. :blushing:

So my question is what would be the best technique to continue climbing without this happening?

I'm using the system that was at the show with the micro pulley to advance the prussik.

Way others are there that could "assist" me, or is it because I'm new to the climbing and its a bit of a shock to my body?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you taken as much friction as you can out of the system?

The other thing you can do, if you're climbing on a self tending prusik, is add a croll and foot loop [you could use a Pantin but on a self tending system a Croll works fine, it's what I started off on]. That way rather than straining with all your might to pull down, you just stand up to advance the hitch, then sit down and pull the Croll up and the system does everything else...

I'm going to order a pantin this week. Got a footloop I can try.

Just annoying as I've just started red climbing and it really has put my mind set back. I really enjoyed the climbs aswell.

Friction is at a min so there's not much else I could do to eliminate that.

Oh well. Got to stay off climbing for a few weeks just in case but it has cleared up so I'm able to work again. Not that it stopped me this week. As they say don't work don't earn.

I've had them before after putting on a few pounds over winter and then non-stop sheep-shearing for months.

I found the main thing is diet, lots of fibre and get rid of excess fat around the waist.

The other thing is that there is also an element of genetics involved that determine the likelihood of them occurring.

Many years ago during marines basic training we had to go 30 ft up vertical ropes as fast as possible, some of us, myself included burst blood vessels , the medical officer said it was quit common due to the strain placed upon the body etc. Although I dont have a problem climbing and I am now 50 my advice would be to slow down, and ideally use a system where you are not required to exert too much effort. Best of luck anyway...Nick Pearson, Timberlineline-Roe Ltd.

Do you always feel that your straining really hard when you climb? Or was it just a particularly physical bit and you over did it?

Not sure how you feel about it but maybe you would really benefit from making the switch to SRT? I don't know much about it, had a few go's on different srt systems at shows but thats about it so I can't provide info but certainly seems it could be worth a search on here for you and there are plenty of people on here that use it :001_smile:

Hmmmmmmm Rich, sounds nasty.

Option 1 as I see it..... Buy loads of shiney shiney things and keep evolving and refining your kit for the rest of your climbing life (or until the cash runs out).

Option2. Change nothing EXCEPT master the art of footlocking.

If your problem stems from the technique you are using to get up the rope (as opposed to stemming from when you are moving about in the canopy) then footlocking is what you need.

In my experiance, it takes less than 45mins to really get the nack of it.

Hmmmmmmm Rich, sounds nasty.

Option 1 as I see it..... Buy loads of shiney shiney things and keep evolving and refining your kit for the rest of your climbing life (or until the cash runs out).

Option2. Change nothing EXCEPT master the art of footlocking.

If your problem stems from the technique you are using to get up the rope (as opposed to stemming from when you are moving about in the canopy) then footlocking is what you need.

In my experiance, it takes less than 45mins to really get the nack of it.[/QUOTE]

Can I book a 45min lesson please? :lol:

Never been able to get the hang of it!