Level 4 by correspondence

ctenicera

Hi,

Is anyone currently doing the Level 4 course offered by Treelife by correspondence? It's something I'm considering for after I finish the RFS Level 2 in June this year, but am reluctant as apparently it's really hard to do it without proper tutoring (I don't think I can afford the taught version and I'm a little too far away from any of the venues)?

I have contacted Treelife this weekend for some info, but I wanted to also get some opinions from course participants if possible?

Cheers

Hiya chaps,

Thanks for your replies - I did suspect that may be the general concensus. I guess the fact that no one is doing it says it all! I have done the Level 2 by correspondence too and found it OK, but I think the Level 4 is a big step up from the Level 2.

Will be interested to see what Treelife say....

Cheers :thumbup1:

I am going to be doing my Level 2 RFS Certificate by distance learning from September and will be giving a lot of thought to following up with Level 4 by correspondence via Treelife or perhaps via the classroom sessions at Westonbirt.

The main issue for me is fees - any idea what they are?

Evening,

Chaffey, I will certainly let you know what Treelife say - no answer as yet though.

Caliburn, I believe the fees for the taught version of the Level 4 are in the region of £3000 (not sure whether there is VAT on top of that too?). It's a bit pricey for me I'm afraid, but I should expect the correspondence version to be cheaper as you aren't paying for the tutor time. The question is how much cheaper - I will let you know when I find out.

One of my main considerations is that I'm not actually an arborist, I'm studying arb firstly out of interest and secondly as I hope I may be able to make a second career out of it if I ever find myself out of a job in my current profession - I wonder if it's worth shelling out such a large amount of money for something I may never use or may not be of any benefit to me?

Edited by ctenicera
Bad grammar

Thanks ctenicera, it is a lot of money and funnily enough, I'm the same as you - I'm self-funding my own training out of interest and the love of nature and trees/woodlands.

I aspire to a tree officer role really, being a local government officer presently, and am up against a slightly chauvenistic manager who thinks I'm not good enough to do man's work :001_rolleyes: Having done my CS30, I am a happy chainsaw-wielder, and have done some introductory arb courses already. Signed up for RFS Level 2 with Myerscough this September, hopefully get my PTI in November, possibly Level 4 next year, and I will show them all what a gal can do when she puts her mind to it :biggrin:

I reckon, if you enjoy the subject, go for it :thumbup1: just think if you can get a job that you will love at the end of it, got to be worth it :001_cool:

Thanks ctenicera, it is a lot of money and funnily enough, I'm the same as you - I'm self-funding my own training out of interest and the love of nature and trees/woodlands.

I aspire to a tree officer role really, being a local government officer presently, and am up against a slightly chauvenistic manager who thinks I'm not good enough to do man's work :001_rolleyes: Having done my CS30, I am a happy chainsaw-wielder, and have done some introductory arb courses already. Signed up for RFS Level 2 with Myerscough this September, hopefully get my PTI in November, possibly Level 4 next year, and I will show them all what a gal can do when she puts her mind to it :biggrin:

I reckon, if you enjoy the subject, go for it :thumbup1: just think if you can get a job that you will love at the end of it, got to be worth it :001_cool:

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Hi all,

I had a really good chat on the phone with Treelife on Thursday and firstly I would just like to thank Keely for taking the time to speak to me and for being extremely helpful.

For anyone interested in the courses, the best advice was to definitely try and do the taught course rather than correspondence, which is fair enough, as I think the contact with the tutors would be invaluable when compared with the correspondence version.

As for pricing, it is actually pretty much the same for the taught version and the correspondence version as the main part of the course is the assessment procedure - which is of course the same for however you undertake the course. My guess of around £3000 is correct for the Level 4.

Overall, looking at the qualification content it seems like a really good course, with a good wide range of topics and can prepare candidates for work not just in practical arb, but also for assistant arb officer or consultancy jobs, so it seems like it could open up quite a few doors in terms of potential career paths.

Hope this info is useful to anyone looking into the course.

Hi Caliburn, brilliant post by the way. Go for it and I wish you the best of luck in your career :thumbup:. I'm a lass and totally understand how you feel.