Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Large equipment Discuss wood chippers, stump grinders, and other arb equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-03-12   #1 (permalink)

Greenmech vs Jensen

Hi im new to this site - looks great but cant see the info im after so thought i would ask?

I have always run 6" towable Greenmech chippers and have found them very good. Am looking at getting a 2002 model Jensen 6" has anyone got any feedback good or bad about them?

Much appreciated
Old 17-03-12   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as GTR tool repair, Raffle Sponsor 2012

Re: Greenmech vs Jensen

Stick with greenmech. Always, there is another thread on this if you search it out.
Old 17-03-12   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich2484 View Post
Stick with greenmech. Always, there is another thread on this if you search it out.
100% agree. Have used both and Greenmech are far nicer all round. More reliable, and easier to maintain.
Old 17-03-12   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2015

Well, re a 2002 machine, Jensen imo. A poll might be better...

New tho - would go gm quadchip
Old 18-03-12   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013

im am a great fan of jensen chippers, but on the other hand grennmech are fine machines too,
Old 18-03-12   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as GTR tool repair, Raffle Sponsor 2012

I can't see anything that has a better build quality than the gm. And the parts are easy to get hold of IMO they are not too expensive either.

Maintenance is easy aswell, a few grease nipples every 40 hours and there are stickers so you can't miss them, the only one I have trouble with is the top feed roller metal guide plate sits close to one so the roller needs lifting to get to it. On a 220. Other than that it's all easy.

Blades seem to last forever aswell.
Old 19-03-12   #7 (permalink)
Jan

i have a 6" tracked chipper from greenmech. found out a couple of month ago, that you have to remove! the lower feed-in roller to GREASE the bearing (of course never did that before, u certainly know what happened...)

also over the last 150 hours i had to replace alternator and starter, V-Belts (once both belts to the track pump ripped apart and me and the chipper stood pretty lost in the middle of a busy street) and some broken wiring. the bowden cables were a pain in the ass during strong winters -20C, they just froze so i replaced them by hydraulic control levers.

Beside those issues, its a really nice machine
Old 20-03-12   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as lumber jake

It depends how hard you work your chipper. If your using it for long periods a day then the jenson would be a better machine,only have the chipper on for a couple of hours then the greenmech would be better. Ive used both and we have a green mech now. And to be honest the build quality is terrible. There are so many faults that im not going to list them on here. IMO if you like your greenmech then perhaps you havnt tried many others. Again this is only my opion but greenmech comes dead last on my chipper list. We had one back in 2005 that we had to keep a fire extinguisher next to because it kept catching fire. it was like the wooden spoon. If your team done something wrong that week you got given the greenmech...................Happy buying
Old 20-03-12   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as Thompson Woodlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumber jake View Post
It depends how hard you work your chipper. If your using it for long periods a day then the jenson would be a better machine,only have the chipper on for a couple of hours then the greenmech would be better. Ive used both and we have a green mech now. And to be honest the build quality is terrible. There are so many faults that im not going to list them on here. IMO if you like your greenmech then perhaps you havnt tried many others. Again this is only my opion but greenmech comes dead last on my chipper list. We had one back in 2005 that we had to keep a fire extinguisher next to because it kept catching fire. it was like the wooden spoon. If your team done something wrong that week you got given the greenmech...................Happy buying
Sounds like crap maintenance to me.
Old 20-03-12   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

We got a Jensen A540 . I think its an 8" feed . Any way we ran it pretty much all day long for 4 days in the woods last week chipping hazel , birch and sweet chestnut . It never missed a beat .