Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Large equipment Discuss wood chippers, stump grinders, and other arb equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-12   #1 (permalink)

Where to buy flatbed hiab trailers

Does anyone actually make flatbed hiab trailers, seen all these homemade ones, but thats too much like hard work for me!
Old 11-02-12   #2 (permalink)

Re: Where to buy flatbed hiab trailers

atkinson vos have one for sale
Old 11-02-12   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011

one on flea bay at the mo 6months old all the whistl's and flutes 14,000 it's rico made jobby with timber crane maybe a bit small for your requirments
Old 11-02-12   #4 (permalink)
Supporting member, Raffle Sponsor 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bolt View Post
one on flea bay at the mo 6months old all the whistl's and flutes 14,000 it's rico made jobby with timber crane maybe a bit small for your requirments
I saw that last night, nice looking trailer that
Old 13-02-12   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012

I have one of those, can lift a ton, welds and body designed to take 1/2 a tonne!!! Mines not very old and I am having to rebuild it to strength.

www.theocusarboriculture.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Theoc...8182482?ref=hl
www.tewkesburywoodfuel.co.uk
Old 13-02-12   #6 (permalink)

got some photo's bud
Old 14-02-12   #7 (permalink)

Yep here are a few, it seems that most things by riko tend to fall to bits or are not strong enough for the job, even on their own admission the 4.2m crane is too big for the trailer spec and hence why the legs bend in the A frame. I have even upgraded the 50mm box from 4mm to 5mm thickness to compensate but this has had no benefit. I am now putting in 100mm box but as you will see from the pictures it has meant a complete rebuild. I think their slogan should indeed be overpriced and under engineered!!!!
I will also throw in a Riko A12 log splitter with weld failure for your entertainment!!! This also trashed the ram and many other parts!!!
Attached Images

Old 14-02-12   #8 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theocus View Post
Yep here are a few, it seems that most things by riko tend to fall to bits or are not strong enough for the job, even on their own admission the 4.2m crane is too big for the trailer spec and hence why the legs bend in the A frame. I have even upgraded the 50mm box from 4mm to 5mm thickness to compensate but this has had no benefit. I am now putting in 100mm box but as you will see from the pictures it has meant a complete rebuild. I think their slogan should indeed be overpriced and under engineered!!!!
I will also throw in a Riko A12 log splitter with weld failure for your entertainment!!! This also trashed the ram and many other parts!!!
So you lift more than the recommended weight, no wonder your having to rebuild it

http://www.johnshutlertreeservices.co.uk/
Old 14-02-12   #9 (permalink)

The trouble today is metal is not metal any more i think manafacturers should give you the metal grade they use in there machines or at least supply the information when asked , but to be hornest them A frame legs do look a we bit naff to the crane you have fitted ,are they tested by real people before sold or CE marked ?

Last edited by Big Bolt; 14-02-12 at 04:58 PM..
Old 14-02-12   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shutler View Post
So you lift more than the recommended weight, no wonder your having to rebuild it
I wish i could lift the recommended weight, its also has relief valves on the hydraulics so i cannot over load it. The problem is i just dont think they test smaller machinery well enough, the bolsters for instance where the welds have been ground started to split after the first day of use. Trust me when i say i take it easy on my kit but these things are pretty weak. If a machine is built so that the crane can lift 400kg at full reach then the legs should be able to take the force created by this. The physics involved are huge, even picking bits up close in you can see the body torsion and flex in the legs!! Hopefully by beefing it up and putting a decent set of rear legs on the trailer too will prevent future failures. I have just had the 2nd splitter head go on the log splitter too, this is cast metal and again we are getting this beefed up also!!! Its very frustrating, often i look at the instructions to see if it ever says "for domestic use only"!!!!

The problem is when you go back to the manufacturer with a bit of constructive criticism they get very defensive!!!