Jcb fastrac

TopCut

Hi just wanted to know if anyone out there knows what the fastracs are like for use in tree surgery/forestry. I run a u1600 unimog for chipping and also run a valmet with crane for use in forestry. But we are only a 2 man team and there is always one sitting about. So I was thinking of selling the valmet and unimog and buy a jcb fastrac and have a crane fitted to it. in the hope to cover both jobs we do. 80% of are work is Forestry. Does any of you tree guys run a fastrac with crane?

I used to run a fastrac, ok machine, good road speeds, but not cut out for forestry imo, i had a few major problems with mine so got shot, 11months later it went up in flames !

I have a class now, almost as fast as the fastrac on the road but a lot more rugged, trailer and crane and a mounted chipper, i adapted a grain trailer to run behind the chipper on drawbar while chipper is 3 point linkage.

Rob.

Why is it a problem to have a machine patiently waiting for it's turn to be usefull?

Depending on age etc you may well have to spend a few quid to get to that set-up and then your maintanence cost is not likely to be any lower as surely you'll do the same working hours, just on one machine instead of two. The other big disadvantage I'd see would be that you have no back-up if you trade two for one.

I've not had any experience with fasttrac's in forestry but I've found them too compromised on the farm. Not the best in the field and not the best on the road either.

Daniel

Edited by Daniël Bos
spellong

I have been doing a little bit of home work on this. Apparently fast tracks ok when new get a bad one with a few years under its belt and life becomes hell especially gearbox problems. I would imagine a tractor is better if you need to hitch up alot of different trailers as you can see the hitch. Unimog well made less electronics better for passengers.

I know Wilsons put a Botex 560 on a Fast track a little while ago. Why not find out who they did it for and talk to them? I have thought about a fast track epsecially with the 4wheel steering. That would be useful. Downside is the price of said fast track and there seems to be a love/hate split over them. There was one that use to turn up around my way (which i'm guessing was Ashman's) but that disspeared a few years ago.

If you just want one vehicle why not put the crane on the mog? Could even take the roofmount off the Valmet and have a mount and stablisers made up for it.

hiya , i worked for a firm in devon that had one of the first fast tracks with i botex fitted behind the cab , it was great on the trobay and exeter citty council contracts as they were either roadside jobs or in parks etc , when it came to forrest work and site clerence jobs it was next to pointles , we still needed another tractor if we needed to get a winch, chipper and airbraked silage trailer to site .

i personally would get a crane fitted to the mog, and this is not because i own a mog but because i have found it to be a realy versatile bit of kit .

• 2 years later...
hiya , i worked for a firm in devon that had one of the first fast tracks with i botex fitted behind the cab , it was great on the trobay and exeter citty council contracts as they were either roadside jobs or in parks etc , when it came to forrest work and site clerence jobs it was next to pointles , we still needed another tractor if we needed to get a winch, chipper and airbraked silage trailer to site .

i personally would get a crane fitted to the mog, and this is not because i own a mog but because i have found it to be a realy versatile bit of kit .

I think I looked at that tractor, was it for sale about 4 years ago?