Defender disco front axle

Dean Lofthouse

I have found that the drive splines on my defender front axle hubs are badly worn. Theres loads of play when taking up drive.

As the spline is part of the uJ in the swivel housing and taking into account all the parts and time needed to do it I thought it would be better to find a low mileage complete axle off tbay and just fit that.

I have found an 02 complete front axle from a td5 disco that's supposedly done 15k, does anyone know if it will go straight onto my P reg defender.

..and has anyone had dealings with the seller Direct Auto Salvage at Silloth, cumbria. I'm just wondering if it's going to be worth the trip all the way up there from Huddersfield.

Replacing half shafts isn't as bad as it looks. One of mine broke a while back, and I ended up having to replace that, and also take out the good one and the differential to knock the broken end out. All in, it was a day's work..the new part, plus new hub seals, gaskets etc came to less than £50 delivered.

One of the problems is I don't know whether there will also be play in the other half shafts from the diff to the UJ.

There's two half shafts with splines, then the UJ's with splines, so to be sure I wouldd have to buy:

Two inner shafts

Two outer UJ's

Ball swivel gasket seal kit.

Two hub caps

I was thinking parts would come to around £200 ??

Plus my time stripping it and there could be a lot of backlash in the diff, the propshaft flange seal is also leaking, could turn into a nightmare :scared1:

Ok Dean, you might need to check the ratio on the disco td5 is the same as yours, but otherwise it will go straight on.

Taking the hub out to get shafts out is not a big job- i am doing mine at the moment on the v8.

If you are running up to Market weighton soon, you could try these, i`ve spent lots with them, and they know landys inside out;

http://www.lrseries.com/

They do parts, but also do recon and exchange axles, boxes etc.

The PCD of the studs if different between Defender axles and Series 2 Disco axles, so your wheels wont fit.

Yep, i do stand corrected mpb.:blushing:

Now you mention it, i think the PCD on disco2 is the same as the P38 rangie- much smaller than the defender.

Guess ive been lookin at flat-front landys too long!

I wonder if the flanges will interchange, I could swap my studded flanges for the others??

It's an 02 discovery the replacement axle would be from, not sure what series that would be.

Not sure about swapping over the studded flanges. You may find some more answers here. http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?http://forums.lr4x4.com/

An 02 discovery is a series 2.

Hope that helps

Martin