Kubota engine mods?

Theocus

Just a thought and excuse my lack of mechanical knowledge.

The kubota V1505 engine which we find in most 35hp chippers is the non turbo version of that series. Can a turbo be fitted to the V1505 as an after market part.

I am aware they do the V1505-T but what other mods need to be done.

Just a thought and excuse my lack of mechanical knowledge.

The kubota V1505 engine which we find in most 35hp chippers is the non turbo version of that series. Can a turbo be fitted to the V1505 as an after market part.

I am aware they do the V1505-T but what other mods need to be done.

I can’t give you a definitive answer but most modern diesels do a normally aspirated (NA) and a turbo version.

It’s a pretty simple concept, the turbo puts in more air and with more air can burn more fuel so the injector pump will need adjusting. You might need to change the pistons. You will need a turbo manifold and exhaust and you will need to have an oil feed and return from the turbo. An intercooler will maximise your turbo’d air

Now the down side. More air and fuel equals more power which in turn means more stress on engine parts, con rods big and small ends are all common “leg out of bed” failures.

You will be showing a lot of engine parts stresses and strains they have never known before. It’s a bit like giving your granny a pair of running shoes, she will do it but she might not be able to do it for long.

Andy

"leg out of bed"

Love it. I would not want to see my Granny running for the last 50 years (she has been dead 7 now bless her!) She last did when she caught her #its in the mangle!

I put a turbo on a N/A Landrover - ran well enough 'till a rod went shortly after, but would have run better with and intercooler and a variety of other bits!

Bu there can be many differences that can occur, including the section of the conrods, big end and little ends, piston profile and depth, valve clearances and size, crankshaft journals and bearings, fueling profile, oil delivery and cooling amongst a long list et all.

Sorry, but cannot just bolt on a turbo and forget it is the lesson to be learnt.

Sorry, but cannot just bolt on a turbo and forget it is the lesson to be learnt.

Precisely; just need to get another engine. There are useful gains available from advancing the pump timing, opening the air inlet side and using high end oil*. We used to use 2 and 3 cylinder Kubotas in biodiesel testing as they were tough and had a good rpm range and responded quite sensitively to cetane differences.

usually on diesels the power components are different between turbo and non turbo ie piston cooling nozzles ,camshaft , injectors , pistons ,valves ,fuel pump etc. its not usually power that kills an engine its rpm and too much heat you would be better to leave well alone or find another engine to fit

I have no intentions of trying to mod what is a brand new engine but a few more horses let out of the stable would be good!!!!

my bc150 seems underpowered but it is only a small chipper i think it should have a 40hp engine or a 45 would be awsome them as the crush conifer realy well.

• 13 years later...