Slow hydraulics

Mike Hill

I noticed a few times recently that the feed roller on my PTO driven chipper is running really slowly or stopping without much resistance.I checked the Hydraulic oil level in the Mog and the Hyrdraulic ram at the back operates with usual speed and strength.Could it be that the "flow rate controller" is knackered or that the forward/reverse valve is sticking and restricting the flow of oil?How do I check the conditon on these and what do I look for?

Put a meter in the circuit and dead end it. that will give you an idea of pressure, you could have a weak "blow off" valve, a dying motor, pump or the spool is not going to position. The mog might be at fault with not enough oil in reserve and is overheating and getting as thin as water.

Ok thanks guys,should have mentioned that it always seems to run fine in reverse.E.g. the in-feed direction slows down,I reverse it and the roller will spin at normal speed in reverse.So I think I'll pull off the forward/reverse valve and have a look at it.

How do I know if its faulty?

The unit is a Farmi CH160 and its new.

I'll find a dealer with a flow rate meter on Tuesday

farmi.jpg

the control bar (the one that allows you to feed in, stop and reverse) joins the control switch on the hydraulic block via a long bar that in my picture i've called the long adjustment bar.

the control bar has a small linkage bit where the adjustment bar screws into. if the bar is not screwed out enough there won't be enough of a push on the switch on teh hydralic block to make the rollers turn fast enough. similarily if the bar doesn't pull enough the rollers won't reverse that fast.

we have had this problem a few times, easily fixed. when you are setting up the chipper the bar may be rotated a half turn everytime by accident.

i hope that makes sense

Jamie

Jamie: Thanks alot for taking the time to draw that for me,I'll check the "throw" on the linkage bar.Although I think Iæve taken the bar off when the machine was operating slowly and manipulated the forward/reverse valve without the bar attached and it did the same thing.Thanks again for the picture