Extra Horsepower and economy.

Tom D

Sounds too good to be true, however, after being told by a joiner that he got much better economy on his navara after fitting a PSI Powerbox, and after some careful research, I decided to try one....

They have significant advantages over Chips and ECU remaps, the main one being you can remove the unit and no one would know it had been there, also it only takes a few minutes to fit/remove.

They are made in belgium and they meet the german TUV regs so in germany you can fit one to your car without affecting the warranty. I read some reviews on the net and slowly convinced myself to try it.

Many manufacturers have to adjust the fueling on diesels across the rev range in order to meet emmisions regs, this can lead to "flat spots" on acceleration, also some cars have wal lower power than others in the range yet have the same engine, this device sorts this out by intercepting the signal to the injectors and modifying it for optimum performance.

So has it worked? on power and torque most definately yes. The puma engine on my landy was not gutless by any means but is now awesome, 313Lbft of torque and 155Hp. we'll have to wait and see on the economy front, but I have high hopes, watch this space.

If I had any car that was lower down the power range compared to others with the same engine I'd definately get one, why pay an extra £2k in the showroom when £350 on a little box will give the same result?

http://www.psi-motorsport.com/turbodiesel/index.php

• 2 weeks later...

Two tanks of fuel later and I think it does make a difference. I normally get 300 - 330 miles of 66 litres (towing ) I have had two fills since fitting; 345 and 360, fuel light came on today at 379 so it'll be 390 by the time I get to the garage.

If I get an extra 35 miles per tank thst should save about £10 a week so it will pay for itself in 35 weeks.:thumbup:

The extra power and tourque really is awesome, I just hope the clutch can take it.:laugh1:

The extra power and tourque really is awesome, I just hope the clutch can take it.:laugh1:

I wouldn't want to be a harbinger of doom but I sold a bedliner (ebay) to a builder in Glasgow. His clutch disintegrated at 23,000 miles. This was a D40. He was told 'it's not the first'. But that's all third hand stuff so don't set too much store by it.

Don't want an underrail bedliner for a Kingcab D40 do you?! Mr Glasgow changed to a Disco before I could despatch the liner so gave me half my money back!

Iv'e got one of these on my td5 130,it has 3 settings,I have mine on the second setting,

performance is erm..nice,tows so much better and empty its a missile.

Seems to have ironed out the low revs flat spot too,and deffo a bit better on fuel unless you boot it.

Good product in my opinion!

I have my landy chipped + loads of extras.

it runs at 196bhp and is super fast, if you drive it sensibly you get much better mpg but we have also changed the transfer box to a disco td5, we get 35-36 mpg on a run.....

If you are going to chip etc you need to get a performance clutch as the basic one will get eaten alive..

Thats the prob with the new six speed box: there is only one clutch available. Still, i'm nowhere near 196 bhp TBH I think 155bhp is where the the landy should be, I was after the economy before the performance and it seems to have worked.