small front mount chipper on Mog 406

sierramog

I am new to this forum and have lurked a bit. Great forum. I live in the dry forest of the Sierra foothills in Northern California. I clear brush and small trees (up to 10") around homes for fire safety.

My Mog came with two remote control Werner winches, an arch and sprag. I added FOPS from a SEE tractor plus a light crane. The current setup is a bit tail heavy.

I want to add a small front mounted chipper to the Mog. I convert most material under 4" to firewood so I expect a 6" chipper would handle my needs. I need to keep the weight low. There is a lot of volume that I drag with a skyline to a landing. I want to use the crane to feed the chipper where possible so I need hydraulic feed.

The front PTO runs counter to typical chippers so I am pondering whether to convert an engine driven chipper to a front mount using PTO to drive pump and then hydraulic motor on chipper. I have some surplus hydraulic components and I like projects.

Any suggestions, key words or suggestions are welcome.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice would be to contact Alex Price, AC Price Engineering.

I'll get you his email if you like, or you can contact him through there web site.

I noticed he had a hydraulic driven front mount Ducker chipper, in the yard last time I was up there.

I know he has shipped mogs and parts all over the world.

I'm up at Alex's on Monday, I will ask him about it if you like.

yes ditto the above 'A C Price Engineering' good place to start poss '400u schliesing' chipper if you can find one. there was an arbtalk member on here a few days ago asking how to convert a frount mount chipper to normal 3 point linkage , if you can find them it might be you could make them an offer they could accept! if i find it i'll let you know cheers J

Just get a simple reversing gearbox for the front PTO shaft then just use a rear mounted chipper on the front but make it close coupled.

If you need mog parts stateside try Scott at expedition imports (CA) or Sean at Eurotruck importers (GA) or look on Unimog - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum ware a lot of stateside mog owners hang out.

I am working on fitting a Valby CH140HF to my U900. Since I don't do any fab work, I have been at a stand still on the final fitment. Atkinson Vos sell the reversing boxes, and I have dealt with both AV and AC Price, and they have both been very helpful in this conversion. Best of Luck and keep the post current with any developments. -There are a few posts on here about this very process already.

ACUF