Avant questions

Brett

hello avant owners / operators,

1) does any one run a flail / mulcher on an avant (e.g 600 series), how does it cope with stuff at the heavier end of flail work, e.g light gorse, rough bramble scrub etc). We would unlikely be doing grass work but like the idea of something for clearing sites.

2) If you had to pick just 2 attachments for tree work, what would they be? why?

3) If you had your time again would you pick another machine? why? either avant or not.

4) What would you expect the value of a 635 with around 600 hrs (reasonable condition) be?

4a) roughly, on average, how many hrs a year do you put on your machine?

5) how easy have you found it to adapt your own (non avant) kit to run on the machine.

6) the avant winch looks pants. is it? has anyone ever adapted a hydraulic timber winch to work on their machine? I found a 3t timber winch online that needs a min of 60lpm to run, 635 runs at 66lpm, Am i dreaming or could this work?

Thanks guys. more to follow I'm sure.

I can only answer one if your questions as I'm not an Avant owner but have used them many times with pallet forks for moving logs.

Although I recently used one with a flail mower. We cut down hundreds of Blackthorn trees with 4" thick trunks and it was expectedly slow to make progress when there were multiple trunks under the deck but otherwise it was extremely effective.

Obviously not as good as an Ahwi with 600hp....... but I was pleasantly surprised.

On the areas of dense bramble and a trillion 2" thick saplings it was superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

hello avant owners / operators,

1) does any one run a flail / mulcher on an avant (e.g 600 series), how does it cope with stuff at the heavier end of flail work, e.g light gorse, rough bramble scrub etc). We would unlikely be doing grass work but like the idea of something for clearing sites.

They are okay, I wouldn't buy an Avant one though, look around and buy an aftermarket one and have it adapted to fit the Avant

2) If you had to pick just 2 attachments for tree work, what would they be? why?

Heavy duty log grab, does what it says very tough and well made. Rotate grab - good on smaller branches and will drag a decent pile around even in tight spaces as in weaving between trees.

3) If you had your time again would you pick another machine? why? either avant or not.

No this is our 3rd Avant at one point this year we had 4 Avants on the go and one Multione (which is also a good machine)

4) What would you expect the value of a 635 with around 600 hrs (reasonable condition) be?

Almost the same as a new one! Call around you will find great deals on new much less than advertised price/MRP

4a) roughly, on average, how many hrs a year do you put on your machine?

500/1000

5) how easy have you found it to adapt your own (non avant) kit to run on the machine.

Easy we have made a postrammer and our own silage type grab

6) the avant winch looks pants. is it? has anyone ever adapted a hydraulic timber winch to work on their machine? I found a 3t timber winch online that needs a min of 60lpm to run, 635 runs at 66lpm, Am i dreaming or could this work?

Probably, its a loader/handler mainly this is its strengths, it can be a jack of all trades-you know the rest

Thanks guys. more to follow I'm sure.

Just filling space so message will post...

Question 2). The tree shear outperforms any other log/brash grabbing attachment whilst on site, HD log grab good for larger sections and the yard. Ripper attachment is very effective and good value for what it can do.

I've not tried the tree shear yet, I like the floppy grab though for manouvering long sections of tree easily, the HD grab can be a pain with these.

The last pic is of Alistair Magee's flail/mulcher

IMG_3724.jpg.1edf225afad83d3df90653ab2325304f.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg.59432df30d17f8e21ed3e62aaa8ea040.jpg

IMG_4365.jpg.7f178097215c1468c34e6de226a6d220.jpg

Edited by Marc

Question 2). The tree shear outperforms any other log/brash grabbing attachment whilst on site, HD log grab good for larger sections and the yard. Ripper attachment is very effective and good value for what it can do.

so far the issue I have with the shear is its fixed, i think it would be an awesome bit kit if it rotated, I know you get the tilt kit but not the same really and makes it quite expensive. However not used one yet so could be wrong, happened before.