Warrenty claims on new equiptment

swinny

How long of a waiting period do people think is acceptable to get a machine fixed that is only 3-4 months old?

I have a new chipper with a leaking fuel tank and have waited since last thurs for an answer to be told this morning cant be fixed till next tuesday! And i have to take it in to be repaired 100-110 mile round trip and my time.

So thats a good few days i cant use that machine!

How long of a waiting period do people think is acceptable to get a machine fixed that is only 3-4 months old?

I have a new chipper with a leaking fuel tank and have waited since last thurs for an answer to be told this morning cant be fixed till next tuesday! And i have to take it in to be repaired 100-110 mile round trip and my time.

So thats a good few days i cant use that machine!

Just tell them you're hiring in a replacement machine which you will invoice them for and it's £1.25 a mile for delivery collection, plus time.

I had a Liebherr fitter come out after hours and that was £1.25 plus £85hr just to drive the van!

Sometimes these companies use up all the goodwill and slack rope in one go and you have to toughen up pretty sharp.

The way I now look at it is they would charge me top dollar for their services and I'm fully entitled to do the same for any cost or inconvenience caused to me.

Eddie

Just tell them you're hiring in a replacement machine which you will invoice them for and it's £1.25 a mile for delivery collection, plus time.

I had a Liebherr fitter come out after hours and that was £1.25 plus £85hr just to drive the van!

Sometimes these companies use up all the goodwill and slack rope in one go and you have to toughen up pretty sharp.

The way I now look at it is they would charge me top dollar for their services and I'm fully entitled to do the same for any cost or inconvenience caused to me.

Eddie

Spot on!

Technically, I suspect, you should return faulty goods but the reality is lost time and lost kit working.

I've had it twice recently, van and pick up. Both needed stuff doing, both times they've been in it hasn't been resolved.

Now the dealers have to come collect, leave a suitable replacement and return when rectified.

I've told them it's last chance saloon, next stage is small claims, no further discussion or compromise!

Such a very hard question to answer and a minefield all round! I haven't heard of any warranty covering consequential loss of any kind and as far as i can recall, as long as the supplier is trying to sort your problems, there is no time limit to the responding. I was asked at a show about this and if the supplier has a full workshop, packed diary and awaiting the part and agreement to come from his supplier, he is stuck in a hole! Warranty is usually paid at a much lower hourly rate than he gets from service work and he may be pegged on mileage too. Quite often, parts are charged for and he has to retrospectively claim that cost back, and if it is turned down then the customer has be charged!

Such a very hard question to answer and a minefield all round! I haven't heard of any warranty covering consequential loss of any kind and as far as i can recall, as long as the supplier is trying to sort your problems, there is no time limit to the responding. I was asked at a show about this and if the supplier has a full workshop, packed diary and awaiting the part and agreement to come from his supplier, he is stuck in a hole! Warranty is usually paid at a much lower hourly rate than he gets from service work and he may be pegged on mileage too. Quite often, parts are charged for and he has to retrospectively claim that cost back, and if it is turned down then the customer has be charged!

Petes about spot on there, lower rates for labour & mileage if any, if it's not warranty there will be a bill & any supplier can ask you to return the machine for repair at your cost. There are no consequential losses & as long as the dealer is trying to rectify that's fine. Only if they cannot fix or you have reoccurring faults being beyond reasonable do you have a case.

I remember talking to an Ag dealer about a newish tractor with a gearbox issue which was going to be close to £20k to fix. His supplier wasn't going to pay for a lorry to get it from the farm, and he felt that it was going to be rejected as it had been driven hard. Either he or the Ag Contractor was going to suck it up.

Petes about spot on there, lower rates for labour & mileage if any, if it's not warranty there will be a bill & any supplier can ask you to return the machine for repair at your cost. There are no consequential losses & as long as the dealer is trying to rectify that's fine. Only if they cannot fix or you have reoccurring faults being beyond reasonable do you have a case.

But surely "fit fir purpose " also plays apart, if said machine is so unreliable it's not fit for purpose and the supplier is liable?

I remember talking to an Ag dealer about a newish tractor with a gearbox issue which was going to be close to £20k to fix. His supplier wasn't going to pay for a lorry to get it from the farm, and he felt that it was going to be rejected as it had been driven hard. Either he or the Ag Contractor was going to suck it up.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app