Best/toughest way of lining a tipping trailer

Matthew Storrs

Just got this trailer, the trailer bed is made of 6mm steel sheet but looking to prevent wear, as every time I tip loads like the pic a little bit of metal gets scraped off too! Don't really want to use ply as I don't think it will last, thinking of recycled plastic sheets 10mm called stock boards. Is there a better method- welding metal wear strips lengthways for example?IMG_0517.jpg.9aa979c553424f803c18702923cbdf0f.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used 6mm stokboard on the chip trailer (more for on the sides) but it might work for what you want on the floor as it seems fairly robust when it got support behind it. Only thing we found was that in the sun it expands a bit and can ripple, but it does go back when it cools down.

I think my bigger concern with lining is that water will inevitably run round the edges and get trapped. I think you are likely to then find that the rate of corrosion outstrips the rate of wear.

Alec

I totally agree with the above the trailer is there to be used if you put stock board in with rocks like that you will proberbly create more of a problem , steel is cheap for what it goes through and lasts along time.

Best bet is to get some 6mm steel angle 40mm each side. Weld it on to the floor at 300mm or 400mm centres, parallel to the sides, so that the load will slide down them and not really touch the floor. Weld it both sides every 300mm.

Cut the ends at the back door so that they are 45 degrees and fill in the ends, just to make it pretty!

Easy fix of the problem and also stops the floor bellying out.

Sent from my E6653 using Arbtalk mobile app

I know someone runs big merc aluminium tippers and they have some sort of liner that prevents the mud sticking. I think it also protects the floor. If you put stock board in you may struggle to tip out. I would just use it when worn or rotted cut it out and fit a nice new floor. Problem with having nice new shiney kit is it's nice new and shiney and you are tempted to keep it as a shelf queen. Bought for work get it working 😀

Just got this trailer, the trailer bed is made of 6mm steel sheet but looking to prevent wear, as every time I tip loads like the pic a little bit of metal gets scraped off too! Don't really want to use ply as I don't think it will last, thinking of recycled plastic sheets 10mm called stock boards. Is there a better method- welding metal wear strips lengthways for example?[ATTACH]218510[/ATTACH]

That's a good picture of a tipping trailer doing what it was designed to do.

If you don't like the idea of the load bed getting scratched, wait till some numpty on a 360 gives it a love tap.:sneaky2:

If its going to be on rough work, price any maintenance onto the rate.