1.5t excavator with stump grinder?

Chris Day

We need a bigger stump grinder, we have a little rock machinery one which is great for what it is but the frequency we have to hire a larger machine means it's time to invest.

My question is has any used one of the stump grinding heads/attachments you can buy for a small 360? Was it any good?

I'm thinking a second hand 1.5 to 2.0t excavator and the relevant attachment is cheaper than a decent stump grinder and gives more utility. Oh and I want a digger!

The real swinger is has anyone on here with an arb company owned both and found one more profitable than the other?

Many thanks,

Chris

Not enough flow I've been told. A bit like the skidsteer grinder attachements. Never heard a good word about them.

Hi went to a woodland management show / exhibition last Saturday got talking to 2 guys and stump grinders on diggers came up , one guy had worked in new Zealand on eucalyptus plantations 25 tonne digger didn't have enough oil flow for a stump grinding head so he ended up Puting a 340hp cat engine with pumps and a 80 gallon oil tank a 2 oil coolers on the ballast weight, he said it would work of digger hydraulics but at only about 25% of what it would do of auxiliary engine .

There where a couple of alternatives for minidiggers for sale on one of the Facebook arb groups one was an auger but i cant remember how the other worked but both where designed to run on the lower oil flow

Auger Torque - Stump Planers, Tree Stump Planer

Iv often though about getting one of these, I have the auger anyway so would be quite cheap to buy the planer attachment.

I quite like the idea of it myself- nice an controlled and no flying debris. I have never used one though myself. My auger can drill a 12 inch hole through concrete (takes a while!) so would surely have enough power to plane a 25cm stump? Mulitiple passes for bigger stumps.

Iv always found it strange how diggers can easily run flails etc but not grinders...

None of the small 360`s can run flails very well. Even if the flow rate is there the second you pull a lever to slew or use any other function the flow rate will fall off a cliff. If you choose an attachment that will operate on 50% of the machines advertised flowrate and are mindful of what's going on you can run a flail with a degree of success, it takes a while to get used to this but its doable. A grinder would be totally out of the question unless someone knocks one up that has its own engine fitted as an attachment.

Bob

fair enough point on the smaller diggers, but was surprised by the post above mine about the 25ton machine not being able to run one, but then I guess it's all size relative.

I guess the donkey engine is all perfectly doable but probably too weighty on a 1.5t.

It can be done without a donkey engine Mathew , Mick`s doing the fabrication work on a 3 tonner at the moment that will run mulchers etc without all these issue`s . No point in showing bits and pieces so will post up how its done when finished ( its cruel but worth it :) )

Bob